Question from a new owner '07 FX cruiser HO

Hey guys!

I just bought a 2007 FX Cruiser HO last fall and I took it out for the first time two weeks ago. Everything was going fine until I accidentally ran it aground on some gravel as it was low tide and the water became very shallow very quickly. I was able to move it to deeper water and just idled back to my trailer. When I got home, I pulled out about 8 small rocks that were stuck in the intake grate, although I suspect some sand/small rocks may have been sucked up . I tried to look inside at the impellor with a flashlight, and I didn't see any damage from what I could see. Took it out today and everything went relatively fine except that I am not able to get the motor above 7500 rpm or 48 mph. When I hold it WOT it kind of dances around 7500 rpm. Is this a sign of cavatation? Has anyone experienced anything like this before? If anyone knows what might be the cause of it please let me know! I rode it for a good 2 hours and other than that issue it ran fine. Thanks for your time everyone!

+1
    I would pull the pump out and check the prop as I may have some damage don't it feel like its vibrating more

Quote Originally Posted by fzsaust View Post
    I would pull the pump out and check the prop as I may have some damage don't it feel like its vibrating more

Doesn't feel any different... But could this be a sign of a damaged pump? The reduced RPMs?

+1
    Have another close look at the impellor........from both ends.......remove intake grate if neccesary. Check all edges for dings.....it does not take much for performance to be effected. Also check impellor to liner clearance at different points.....0.35-0.45mm is the spec, again any bigger and performance drops off quickly.
    Could be a totally unrelated problem........learner mode?? Fouled plugs will give these symptoms also........always worth changing with problems like this.

+1
    I'd start with plugs, the 7500RPM limit seems to be a common symptom with plugs that need to be replaced on these engines. They should be replaced every season, so if you haven't replaced them yet then there's no telling how old the plugs are. If it were a problem with the impeller and cavitation then you should still be hitting the 10k RPM redline but your top speed would be way down. The fact that you're not able to reach max revs while NOT in "L-Mode" tells me there's a good chance your plugs are done, likely from idling your way back to your trailer if it was more than a few minutes.

Thanks guys! I'll definitely change the plugs. Any particular plugs you recommend that won't foul as often?

+1
    Stick with the factory plugs, they're cheap enough that seasonal replacements aren't expensive at all and you'll know they're up to the task of dealing with the 10k RPM redline. Just avoid excessive idling.

Ok so I tried switching the plugs and I am still having the same problem. I can't get past 7500 rpm. Is there any way that this is a symptom of cavatation? It seems like if it were cavitating, I would be able to get up to 10,000 rpm but I just wouldn't be going as fast. I am maxing out at like 46-47 mph. Any other suggestions?

Sounds like one cylinder not firing. Run it and pull the plugs again. Look for a wet one. Maybe a bad ignition coil.

Thread Information