Genesis i engine compartment filling with water. Why?

i have a 2003 Genesis i. Last summer, on accident I put the boat in the water missing a drain plus. Obviously it started to fill with water and stalled. I pulled it out of the water, drained the water, let it sit in the hot sun a couple of days to dry out. Then, I started it and it worked! But, then, I put it back in the water (after replacing the drain plug) and it worked for about 10 minutes, then stalled. What's worse is that took on water. So, I pulled it out again. It had water in then engine compartment - but can't explain how. After drying out the compartment again - now, it won't start at all. It's not the battery because I can hear it trying to start, and the gages come on. So, how is it taking on water? and, how can I fix it? Not, the battery is new, and the spark plugs are new. And, I've already dried out the caps for the spark plugs.

+1
    Easiest way to check for leak is have your boat in the water BUT still strapped to trailer. Make sure the pump part is submerged, take the seat off and check around inside the hull.
    If you still don't see water leaking in then start the engine up see if leak is coming from cooling or flush hose or elsewhere.

As engine won't start, first thing to check is your spark. While your battery may be new but just make sure if still has at least 10.6 v while cranking.

Thanks for advice. I read something about trying to start without plugs? To see if water shoots out? Does this make sense? Also, I'd like to drain both the oil and fuel and start with fresh. But , I don't know how to drain either one. Do I need some type of pump or something?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Lothair View Post
    Thanks for advice. I read something about trying to start without plugs? To see if water shoots out? Does this make sense?...
    Yes, if you suspect the engine has ingested water, remove spark plugs and crank it to get water out thru spark plug holes.

...Also, I'd like to drain both the oil and fuel and start with fresh. But , I don't know how to drain either one. Do I need some type of pump or something?
    I do not own a Genesis so I'm not quite sure how easy to drain gas/oil for it. A siphon pump should do fine for draining, if cleaning is needed then you may need to take them tanks out. Hopefully a Genesis owner will chime in an answer soon. Stay tune.

When you say you hear it "trying to start", does it actually turn over? Or do you hear the starter start to spin but not able to turn the engine over? Must know the answer to this question before going any further...

Like loonatik said, put it on the trailer and back it off in the water and see where its coming in. I would bet either the through hull bearing where the drive shaft goes through or the speedo tube. Check and make sure all the hoses are connected at the rear to the right side of the jet pump also.

Yes. I hear the starter start to spin but not able to turn over the engine.

Take the spark plugs out and crank it and see if the engine will turn over. You say the battery is new, check it with a volt meter and make sure its fully charged. As for draining the gas and oil, a hand pump works great, I drained mine when I got it as it had old fuel in the tank. How high did the water get inside the hull when it flooded? Are you able to turn the engine by hand with the plugs out by grabbing the coupler at the rear of the engine? If not, remove the jet pump and see if it will turn over then.

Yes. I hear the starter start to spin but not able to turn over the engine.
    Does it sound like it's engaging the flywheel and just doesn't have the juice to turn the engine over or does it sound like the starter is just spinning and not contacting anything?

Thread Information