Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

SHO Denso OEM Oil Filter vs Toyota Denso OEM Oil Filter

Yamaha Denso OEM Oil Filter vs Toyota Denso OEM Oil Filter

I will be changing the oil & oil filter on my SHO and Toyota Tacoma soon. I ordered 2 cases of the Toyota Denso OEM oil filter (Part no. 90915-20004 Made in Japan) at $9 each include shipping. These filters are hard to find at a local Toyota dealer. Only a few Toyota Dealers here in the U.S carry them. The one you will find at a local Toyota dealer (Part no. 90915-YZZD3), which is Denso as well, but made in Thailand with cheaper filter media similar to Fram.

Yamaha Denso OEM oil filter for the SHO (Part no. 69J-13440-01-00 Made in Japan) at $30 each include shipping.

What I notice between the two filters (Toyota 90915-20004) and (Yamaha 69J-13440-01-00) are identical filter. The only difference is the length of the filter. Both of the filters have the same diameter and the same thread. Also, from the look of the inside of filter media. They both are identical. When I cross reference the two oil filter on Wix website, both of the Toyota and Yamaha oil filters show up on Wix (Part no. 51348 ). I thought that was very interesting. I’m planning on using the Toyota oil filter on the SHO when I do my oil change. My initial thought is "Longer filter means more filter material and more filter material means better filtering. Also, more surface area mean better flow." And, it will be way cheaper to use the Toyota oil filter, and I can change the oil more frequent on the SHO.

Note* I’m not trying to advertise or sell anything. I’m just trying to save money and put it toward gas .

Toyota Oil Filter (Left) Yamaha Oil Filter (Right)

Toyota Oil Filter (Left) Yamaha Oil Filter (Right)

Inside of Toyota Oil Filter Media

Inside of Yamaha Oil Filter Media
    Last edited by ShaunJon; 05-15-2012 at 12:13 AM.

+1
    It's a z 418 they go on about 30 % of cars I use a cooper brand

Cut 'em open to compare. You can set the record straight for us

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    Cut 'em open to compare. You can set the record straight for us
    That's a big risk cutting up a $30 Yamaha filter

Whenever I get a chance to changing the oil on my Tacoma and SHO. I will cut open both of the used filter and compare it.

+1
    I would love to know what the filtering efficiency in accordance with industry standard ISO 4548-12 is. I will see if I can get any more information on the 2 filters. You can get a exhaust pipe cutter from harbor freight for under $20.00 to cut open the filter. You can also send a oil sample to the lab and see how much wear you are getting.

Here is some more information on filters.
    https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eao.aspx?zo=1499968
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMSOIL Oil Filter Cut out.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	270857   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMSOIL Oil filter ISO test.jpg 
Views:	558 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	270858  

Amsoil should of use Denso Filter that is made in Japan. The one I see on the chart is 90915-YZZF2 which is made in Thailand. They are two completely different filter. I'm trying to find more info and efficiency test on the Denso filter that is made in Japan.

Thanks,
    Shaun

+1
    I bet they tested it since it is the one that is most available. Ill check though. It is hard to find tests sometimes of other products from other companies Thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunJon View Post
    Amsoil should of used the Denso Filter that is made in Japan. The one I see on the chart is 90915-YZZF2 which is made in Thailand. They are two completely different filter. I'm trying to find more info and efficiency test on the Denso filter that is made in Japan.

+1
    Interesting to me as well. I have a SHO and a modified Toyota X-Runner(Tacoma).

Whats wrong with the Thailand version? What evidence do you have to claim that it is inferior?? Just curious, not making anything of it

Quote Originally Posted by Xrunner View Post
    Interesting to me as well. I have a SHO and a modified Toyota X-Runner(Tacoma).

Whats wrong with the Thailand version? What evidence do you have to claim that it is inferior?? Just curious, not making anything of it
    Nothing is wrong with the Thailand version. According to the Toyota forums, the Japan version is more superior filter. I would think anything made in Japan is top quality stuff.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunJon View Post
    Nothing is wrong with the Thailand version. According to the Toyota forums, the Japan version is more superior filter. I would think anything made in Japan is top quality stuff.
    I agree for the most part that Japan stuff is usually better. I have been using the Toyota OEM filters(the Thailand ones from the dealer) Every 4k to 5k miles when i change the oil. My Toyota is heavily modified. Just about everything you can do to it other than forced induction. So i was worried when i seen you comparing them. But then i thought "The Toyota filters, either from Japan or Thailand, are made to their specifics, right?? Otherwise, why would Toyota recommend them?

Interesting stuff nonetheless. I want to ask my local dealer about their filters and see what he has to say. I would rather use a better one in my Truck, i suppose. I am glad that you looked into this, Thanks!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information