Putting on registration numbers

With all the pictures of everyones skis I'm really impressed with how good some of the registration numbers look on them. I was just wondering if there are any tips on how to make them super neat/straight cause mine I can never get that perfect.

+1
    I had my window tint and graphics guy lay mine out and put them on straight.

Locate your starting point, apply pieces of tape to indicate the beginning and ending of the span of your numbers...from there, be sure to apply the first character with the same angle/slope as the rub rail and follow with the others.

Also, you should use soapy water to apply them all just right and then carefully squeegee the water out once they start to "bite".

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    getting the store bought number sets installed to look good is a real pain ( and to be blunt, the quality isn't there). buck up and have some numbers cut on a plotter at a local sign shop which makes a perfect installation simpler. You can typically get a set of numbers cut in your design/color in top grade material for $20-$40 ( I do em for $40 installed in a complimentary color for the ski/boat).

Besides the soapy water trick, you want to make sure the hull is really really really clean before starting

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    a local sign shop
    Everyone should always go to a sign shop for custom vinyl numbers. Because the sky's the limit and store-bought numbers are almost always ugly and will have you looking like the next guy. Skis these days are looking really cool...so why not make the effort at a sign shop to come up with some really cool numbers

Mine required a double application of vinyl. My numbers are an apple green with a chrome shadow. So I had to lay out one color vinyl first, then lay out the 2nd vinyl/color right up against the first. So, my green has a chrome shadow effect. Something you won't find in the store

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

IMHO......

Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    Everyone should always go to a sign shop for custom vinyl numbers. Because the sky's the limit and store-bought numbers are almost always ugly and will have you looking like the next guy. Skis these days are looking really cool...so why not make the effort at a sign shop to come up with some really cool numbers

keep the fancy stuff for the name of your ski. Around here the lake rangers will issue a ticket if they cannot read your numbers unaided at 100 feet. Those fancy numbers can be hard to read..and boom..there goes beer money for a week. ( and redoing the numbers too!)

I was told they have no time to be chasing down folks who are being impolite and downright dangerous without the folks providing a reg number for the ski/boat and sad to say lots of folks who come to visit here for a weekend have little full time boating experience and don't recognize common courtesy ( or they simply choose to forget it when "they" are out here for a good time

Granted I was fishing just outside the no wake zone but do folks have to go to uber full throttle the moment they clear the buyoy when you see me and my little 18 foot pontoon boat with rods in the water fishing?

and that is just the tip of the sandbar around here....

Havasu has 50 times the enforcement agents we do, but we get 100k plus people in the park on big weekends..and on those weekends..I sit in the house and watch tv.

my forumla for a good set of numbers:

easy to read
    follow state regs to the letter regarding size and placement
    color coordiante with the ski
    perfectly applied

Fancy and cool = fun....so, when I bought this ski almost 6 yrs ago, I figured I'd roll the dice on rangers giving me a ticket about the numbers.
    Not that much cop traffic in lake mead and when they have passed near me, or had me pulled over - they've never said a word. I'll buy the plain, off-the-shelf stuff after I get a ticket...maybe

Edit: besides, I don't do anything to the general public to make them want to report me

+1
    If you have them custom made they should come straight and spaced already on a masked backing..you just have to position them to your liking...once positioned slowly work from the center out and make sure all the air bubbles are out..use a good flat blade to "stick" them to the hull and once stuck slowly pull the masking off...ME personally i like to leave the masking on for a bit till the decal adheres,that way it doesnt pull on the decal and create air pockets...then once the masking is off i like to let them sit in the sun for a bit to heat them and the adhesive up furthermore makeing them stick more...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by snowboarder660 View Post
    With all the pictures of everyones skis I'm really impressed with how good some of the registration numbers look on them. I was just wondering if there are any tips on how to make them super neat/straight cause mine I can never get that perfect.
    With the masked backing, place a piece of scotch or masking tape to the left side. Position it where it is straight and stick the tape to the hull. This way you have it where you want it before you remove the seal to expose the adhesive. Start from the left and peel the backing away and at the same time use a squeegee and press the letters to the hull while slowly removing the backing until you are completely done. This helps eliminate air bubbles.

Thread Information