+1

Genesis 1200 carbd

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and sorta new to jet skis. This is the first ski I have owned.

It's a Genesis 1200 carbd ski.

It was not well cared for before I took over ownership. It has corrosion issues in the engine compartment. Not real bad, but bad enough that
    some of the bolts are stuck or broken off and are impossible or really hard to take off. The ski was running when i picked it up but would cut off at full throttle. It would drop back to 4 grand (i'm assuming that's limp mode) and give an overheat message. I could put my hand on the exhaust so i new it wasn't overheating. I unplugged a temp sensor (not sure how many the ski has) and it runs fine. I need to change that sensor out but cannot find one locally.

It has reverse also, but it doesn't work. First off, the door and linkage to the motor arm are missing. But the motor does not move at all when i push the button. All wires are intact as far as i can tell. I think the motor is shot, but not sure. I tried to put 12v to the motor through the wiring harness but it proved to be tougher than i expected. I tried to pull the motor out but that was dam near impossible. After removing the four bolts holding it on, I couldn't get it to budge. Any thoughts? Did i miss some bolts somewhere? Is there another way I can test the motor while it's still in the ski?

I'm also wanting to juice up the motor with some performance parts. Any suggestions?

BTW, I scored the ski and trailer for $500! I only run ethanol free gas and use marine stabil in it. I'm also using full synthetic oil.

What year is it? The wiring changes quite a bit over the 4-5 years they were made.

There's not much in the way of performance for a Genesis. It rides like a Cadillac across the water....never really meant to be a sports car! When they're running right they have a surprising amount of "get up" for how big of a hull they are.

As for the reverse, there are 3 or 4 bolts along the very top rim of the engine compartment that hold it to the hull. Take the whole assembly off there and then crack it open and see what's inside. It should be pretty obvious where you can give it some direct power and see if it works.

Keep in mind that the reverse only works when the engine is running. You should be able to hold down the bilge button with the engine off and that will give the reverse circuit power as well.

The missing parts will be stupid expensive from polaris, but you should be able to find them on ebay for a lot less.

+1
    Sorry. Its a 2001. The reverse bolts are above the nozzle on the outside of the hull. I found the door on ebay. I tried the bilge n rev button with no luck.

Is the reverse cable still there?

The actual reverse motor is in the engine compartment, bolted to the the rim of the hull opening under the seat....it looks like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqRHJCUE63(+v,LsBOy-hL3JD!~~60_35.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	270896

If the motor and cable are still there, all you need is the linkage rod that goes on the end of the cable and a reverse bucket.....and of course make sure the motor works.

+1
    mine does not have that bracket that is on the motor. I don't have that cable either.

I pulled the assembly today and found a lot of corrosion in there. To my amazement, i put 12v to the motor and it works!
    There is a power interruption somewhere. I get 12v at the switch, but not to the motor. I found no cut or split wires.
    Only thing i can think of is that the switch is bad. I picked up a few things i found to be missing from my ski. I grabbed the reverse
    gate, linkage, and the rear seat bucket.

+1
    here is a pic of my rev motor.

+1
    I'm curious to know what specific model of ski mine is. It says genesis on the hull, but i've found diff models of genesis.

Anyone know how to tell?

Where was the motor mounted? It looks like the '01-02 didn't have the moutning plate like my '99 does.....althout the '01 Ficht that I just parted out did have it. The motor box would have to be mounted to something or I can't see how it would work.

If yours is carb'd, it is just a "Genesis". The other models, Ficht, I, FFI were all the various years of Fuel Injected models.

+1
    It mounts directly to the hull. It sits in front or the exhaust Cross over in the very back of the ski

+1
    I'm getting killed with this rev switch and motor. If i put 12v to the motor it works in both directions. However, it will not work from the switch. I'm getting 12v to the switch and 12v out of the switch. I traced the wires from the motor all the way to up behind the MFD. All wires are good as far as i've traced them. I noticed on the switch there are the following wires, orange, blk, grn/wht, blue/wht. On the motor assembly the wires are, blk, grey/red, 2x blue/wht, 2x grn/wht.

I can't figure or find out why/where the single blue/wht and grn/wht wires split into 2 sets.

Thread Information