Help diagnosing Polaris Genesis

I just picked up a 2004 Polaris Genesis I. Got a killer deal on it. The previous owner said that it just quit running on him. I pulled the motor, and removed the top end. The stator cylinder and pto cylinder look great. The middle one is a different story. A large hole was burned right through the middle of the piston. Im not real familiar with the ficht fuel injected engines. Any ideas on the cause? Going to rebuild, but want to fix the issue also. ThanksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	polaris1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	270882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polaris2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	270883

Whoa....that's not too common on a Ficht.

I'm guessing the EMM and/or the middle cylinder went crazy and stopped delivering fuel. I'm also guessing that there were a series of warning lights and really bad noises that led up to the melt down that previous owner ignored!

I'd send the EMM to DFI and have them check it out. If they find an obvious problem right away, chances are it'll be what caused the meltdown. If they don't find a problem with the EMM then it might point to the injector......which, if the case, make sure you read up on how the system works. The injectors are mapped to the EMM and you can't just replace one without having it programmed in to the EMM.

Dang!! I wonder if someone swapped the center injector with a used one? Could very well be the EMM but typically it just stops working rather than melting a piston. Could have also been the old grey temp lines clogging the injector and lack of fuel delivery. One thing is for sure, all that metal when into the case so you got a lot of work ahead of you to repair that engine. If it were me, I would be looking for a used engine if you can snag one cheap. How does the head look on the center? Cheers.

Not afraid of the work, built quite a few motors, just not real familiar with the ficht motors. I really doubt the injector was changed, It was owned by a family who had a pair on the lake at their cottage...said they never had a problem till it quit running, but of course I was not able to see what was going on when the trouble started. Surprisingly the head looks really good. The piston was actually snagged on the port in the cylinder. Is there a way to test the injectors without the motor in the ski? What does it usually cost to have the emm tested? Thanks

DFI is the only company that can service the EMM. They will test it for free (you'll just pay shipping both ways) and if they find a problem, a repair/upgrade runs about $600.

Quote Originally Posted by ut1volsman View Post
    Not afraid of the work, built quite a few motors, just not real familiar with the ficht motors. I really doubt the injector was changed, It was owned by a family who had a pair on the lake at their cottage...said they never had a problem till it quit running, but of course I was not able to see what was going on when the trouble started. Surprisingly the head looks really good. The piston was actually snagged on the port in the cylinder. Is there a way to test the injectors without the motor in the ski? What does it usually cost to have the emm tested? Thanks
    Not that I am aware of. The only way to "test" the injector is with the digital wrench program and it only verifys that the injector fires. The flow rate data in the EMM controls the actual amount of fuel delivered.

Thread Information