What causes low-end bog? (domestic)

This is on my '96 900 (1050). I'm actually trying to sell it but I want to make sure it's running good first.

What I'm noticing is a bad low-end bog out of the hole. It really stumbles trying to get on plane. Once on plane, it's like a turbo kicked in and it just takes off. And once going, I have zero complaints about speed or acceleration. It also seems like it's a little worse when it idles for a bit and then I try to take off.

This is the 1050 I originally built for the SLTX. It has a new crank, new pistons and the carb was a perfect, very low hour unit. I have verified that the accelerator pump is working.

Piston wash shows that that it's a little rich, but not horrible. I have maybe 1/4" clean ring all around the outside of the piston instead of the trademark "fingernail" size clean areas.

I turned the low-speed screws in about 1/8 turn today and didn't see much difference. Should go in a little more?

I don't think it's the carbs and I'd rather not burn a set of those new 40's on a ski I'm selling if I don't have to....but I supose if it comes down to it I could.

+1
    Maybe cavitation?? Does the motor itself bog or does it rev when u hit it off idle ski just doesn't move?? Or also could be water accumulation in the water off at idle and take a second or two to clear it out??

Thanks
    Nate

Definitely not cavitation. The whole pump was brand new and probably has less than 10 hours on it. It's bogging, as in not rev'ing.

As for the second point, possible, but doubtful. I suppose I could clamp off the cooling hose to the pipe for a few quick runs, but these aren't really known for having that problem.

Banned User
    +1
    Is it bogging, or is it spitting and sputtering? There is a difference.........

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Is it bogging, or is it spitting and sputtering? There is a difference.........
    +1 If its bogging check to see if accel pump is spraying. If it spitting and sputtering check to see if its in limp mode.

It's bogging. First thing I thought of was the accel pump. Verified that all 3 are spraying like they should.

The only thing I could think is wrong impeller, which might actually make sense. It would have been the one from the SLTX (5131366) which was only used on the '96 SLTX and then on the Genesis and Virage.

I wonder if I have a little too much impeller...

Banned User
    +1
    If its bogging you have to open the low speeds and see if that helps. My Sl900 did that with stock settings and I had to open the lows quite a bit.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    +1 on the opening of the lows.if its idling lean then cracking the throttle open creates a huge flat spot even the accl pump shot can't overcome until the boosters kick in flowing fuel thru the main cicuit.does it only happen at idle speeds or does it occur at 3000 rpm as well?

Thread Information