tongue extension on triton

so I looked random pics on Google and found extensions. now would I.call up Triton and ask them if its safe or if.they have an option. or do I just go ahead and install such an item... sucks its alloy.trailer with.steel extension but guess I.could remove at winter time. any ideas to.people that have done extension

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffmanestates View Post
    so I looked random pics on Google and found extensions. now would I.call up Triton and ask them if its safe or if.they have an option. or do I just go ahead and install such an item... sucks its alloy.trailer with.steel extension but guess I.could remove at winter time. any ideas to.people that have done extension
    http://www.xtend-a-hitchnorthwest.com/

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I added a 36" extension to my Triton Elite double last year. Overall I am happy with it. There is a bit more up/down flex when towing but nothing I worry about.

I moved the spare tire and trailer jack forward, then added a trailer storage box to the front Y area which increased the tongue weight. To rebalance I shifted the bunks backwards on the bunk brackets and adjusted the winch towers to bring the tongue weight into the target range of 7-10% of total weight (trailer plus everything on it).

I don't have any photos handy but will post some if I get a chance.

I seem to recall spending some time filing smooth any rough edges on the end of the Triton tongue to avoid potential wire abrasion damage. Same with the extension hinge hardware.

The much longer safety chains tend to rattle so I wrapped them in a mesh sleeve and used elastic cord ties to hold the chains against the extension.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xray328 View Post
    good idea

its a awesome idea. but $$$$ and especially with the low water level in Chicago land. I wonder if.this even.help as usually there would be 10-15' of ramp under water. mow its like 5+-'

+1
    I had one about 15 years ago, made all the difference in the world. Kind of a pain though to unhook at the ramp, extend the tongue then hook back up. They suggest you not tow with it.

its awesome idea but when river lake are low to begone with then idk if it help...I am thinking of doing a receiver extension getting steel 2-4' and use that as my extension and only to launch

+1
    It helped a lot when I was towing it with my Camry. The car sat low to the ground so I couldn't get that far down the ramp. I flooded the back seat once and was determined not to have that happen again. It's also good for those slippery ramps and cars/trucks with only 2wd, keeps you higher in the ramp and out of the slime.

Thread Information