Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

05 xlt 1200 problem

Yesterday was the first ride of the season for me and it was not a good one. Put new plugs in the yamaha started up fine out of water sounds great, but when on the water if you give it full throttle from a stop it feels like a slipping clutch. It does not jump out of the watter unless you flutter the throttle. With two people on it you dont go anywhere, its like it has no torque. When you are on it by yourself you can get up to speed it just take a while by fluttering the throttle. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
    Brett

One suggestion I have gotten is a wear ring. How can I tell if that is bad

+1
    Check the gap between the wear ring and prop...should be around 1/16" Do u have a plastic replaceable one ?

+1
    May want to look at the plugs, if you have clogged an internal carb filter you may have enough fuel to sound great on the trailer, but be weak in the water due to lack of fuel to one cyl. Another quick check would be to feel the side of each cyl or the head above each cyl to see the temp. A cyl missing or lacking fuel will not be as warm as the others. I had one just like this last summer on a well taken care of 04 XLT, and the internal filter was almost completly clogged with silty and gummy "stuff".

If it can get to top speed but is just slow out of the hole, you make have a sealing problem with the pump shoe to transom plate/scoop grate. Then it would sound like time for a pump sealing kit. Check out the FAQ for info on that.

The plugs are brand new, i put them in the night before we hit the river. I have it at a friends house now and he is going to take a look at the wear ring. It makes total sense especially with the muddy mississippi lol. I am still weary tho, because if the wear ring was going to go out i would have thought it would be before 80 hours. I bought this brand new so i know everything on it, and this is the first problem its had "knocks on wood"

+1
    I meant to look at the plugs to see if one was cleaner than the rest from not having any fuel. a Clogged filter can come on real quick, like over the winter, were as a wear ring problem would most likely be a gradual and slow process, not a problem suddenly the next time you ride it.
    If you haven't sealed the pump, loosing the felt sealing strip can happen suddenly.

guys i think i found the problem!!!!! as i go to disassemble to check the wear ring i find these two guys. could this have been the problem all along?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2732.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	271194  

Quote Originally Posted by barmann88 View Post
    guys i think i found the problem!!!!! as i go to disassemble to check the wear ring i find these two guys. could this have been the problem all along?
    well if those are jammed in there im sure some went through. If thats the case your prop is chewed up and that will definitely cause the cavitation. When you pull the pump and look at the leading edges it wont take much damage to cause sever cavitation.

also get rid of that intake grate!!! Thats how people get bucked off their skis upon deceleration!

The impeller looks fine. Very fine scratches
    im gonna throw it in the water this week and see how it does.
    If it is good I'm gonna start collecting parts for a winter time project.

Get those power valve clip things, seal the plate etc....

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    well if those are jammed in there im sure some went through. If thats the case your prop is chewed up and that will definitely cause the cavitation. When you pull the pump and look at the leading edges it wont take much damage to cause sever cavitation.

also get rid of that intake grate!!! Thats how people get bucked off their skis upon deceleration!

Well the rocks were only part of the problem, when taking off still alot of cavitation at full throttle, but once you get planed out it runs perfect...... you can be full throttle let off then hammer down again and it jerks ya back, just like it used to. Any idea's why its cavitating when taking off?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information