Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

just got a 94 waveraider 700 and need help please

hey everyone. just picked up a 94 yesterday. guy said it hadnt been run for 6 months. bought it for 200 bucks. i got it home, hooked up a battery, check compression. 150 pounds in each cylinder. tried to start, just keep cranking. put some mix gas in each carb and it starts and runs fine off of that gas but it will not continue to run once it uses all that up. the fuel filter is missing and the one fuel line to the carb was unhooked. i poured some more gas in the carb and ran it and i also ran that one fuel line from the carb into a cup of gas, but still it only runs off of what im pouring into the carb. why will it not suck up any of the gas from the cup or the tank? is there some kind of fuel pump or does the vaacum from the engine pull the gas in? what am i missing here as to why the carbs will not pull any gas in? also, is there only one fuel line to the carb? thanks guys!

+1
    do you have the fuel selector knob in the on or reserve position? Sometimes that is a common oversight. People get excited and leave them in the off position and forget to switch it over

Yes I have tried both on and reserve. What actually pulls the gas from the tank to the carb?

+1
    I think carb #1 has a pulse driven fuel pump built in. the 2nd carb doesn't.

Is there anything I should be looking for? 3 lines come off petcock. One reserve, one on, and one to fuel filter then to carb toward rear of the jetski. The guage is flashing the low fuel symbol. So, just to get the thing running I disconmected the fuel filter and ran the line that was attatched to the carb and filter into a gas can with filtered mixed gas. Only way it will start is if I pour gas in the carbs. After it runs on that, I pull the fuel line off the carb and it has really no gas in the line. Maybe there is some kind of screws turned in on the carbs that the previoud owner did to winterize? Or maybe the carbs need the pressure from the gas tank in order to run and pull fuel in? Should the engine be able to run by sticking a fuel line imto a gas can?

+1
    yes it should run like that. Sometimes the fuel pumps are hard to get to prime. If you can keep it running long enough with gas down the carb, the fuel pump should take over. The other thing people do is to pack (with a primer bulb) the fuel lines (with a primer bulb) and pump with fuel. that helps to get things going. Search for fuel pump prime or pack fuel lines for ideas.
    If all else fails, you might have a problem with the fuel pump or check valves inside the carb.

So I can probably just hook up a primer bulb on the fuel line going to the carb and pack the line and that should get it going? Is that the right fuel line? After the fuel filter and before the carb is where I should put the primer bulb or?

+1
    I've never had to pack the fuel lines like that so I'm not sure where. I mean yes the it the correct line but I'm not sure if the other fuel lines should be packed with some gas also or not.
    I have a primer like this installed on my return line. When I pump it, it draws fuel through the carbs and pumps fuel into the intake for easier starting then using the stock choke. It also helps to fill the carbs, fuel lines and filter at the same time which is another plus.

I pulled the carbs apart and everything is spotless. Im guessing I just need to prime the carbs then. Which one is the return line?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun23a11en View Post
    I pulled the carbs apart and everything is spotless. Im guessing I just need to prime the carbs then. Which one is the return line?
    I'm surprised that you found everything spotless. With your symptoms, I would have said that your carbs' needles and seats are stuck. That's what was wrong with my '94 Raider years ago when I didn't run it for 3 years and I didn't know what fuel stabilizer was.

After sitting for 3 yrs, all my ski would do is run for 2 secs with a little gas squirted down the carbs. As soon as it burned that gas, it died. I did this a dozen times and I knew that something had to be wrong in the carbs. I took that carbs apart and the needles were practically glued to the seats due to the gasoline drying up and leaving varnish behind. I pulled the needles out and cleaned the them as well as the seats really well with carb cleaner. I cleaned the rest of the carb parts and reassembled and the ski started right up and ran on it's own gas tank after that .

BTW, you might want to use gas/oil premix down the carbs instead of just straight gasoline. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information