Is it safe to start the waverunners before you put them in the water?

So i have my 2010 FX SHO and FZS on drive on docks this year. They are drive on docks and sit kind of high off the water. I always start them then immediately shut them off just to make sure the battery has enough juice. I fear pushing it into the water, jump on and have it not fire up. My marina isn't a super busy place and there is no way I could pull the waverunner back onto the dock by myself. Is it safe to start them out of water for a few seconds? I get a light metal on metal sound that I don't like but the mechanic assured me that's normal on these and they both do it so I feel confident that the mechanic is right.

Starting the ski out of the water for a few seconds is fine. I do it all the time, no more than 10-15 secs though.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Starting the ski out of the water for a few seconds is fine. I do it all the time, no more than 10-15 secs though.
    What he said!!!!

the moon
    i always start mine before putting it in the water nearly 170 hours now on the clock never had a problem doing it, like mike said only for A few seconds tho.

Jersey CI
    Yep...... starting up for a few seconds to check battery is the sensible thing to do.

Kernersville N.C.
    that metal sound is probably the super charger wheel and if you run it to long she will let you know, beep beep beep , a symbol will pop up telling you your overheating ,this happen to me when i forgot to plug the throttle body up ,, and also the motor has an oil pump on it similar to your car

Ditto, you're allowed to let it run with no water for 15 seconds. I always start mine on the trailer before I go to the dock. That's because there was a time or two that my GP760 didn't start after I got in. The next person at the dock hates that

Thread Information