Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 XLT's hard to start under load

Took my skis out today to give them a test. First one took a little to start but i got it out on the lake and ran it for a little to clean the engine out.

Took my problem child ski out and couldnt get the damn thing to start. It keep cutting out. I finally got it to run and had it tied to the dock so i punched the throttle several times to get the engine warmed up. Killed it. Untied it and made it about 30 yards in the marina, hit the throttle and it cut out. I can get it to start, it sputters at a low idle then dies. I tried rolling on the throttle slow and it still cuts out.

I wasnt out to run them all day. Just wanted to water test them. Went to start the first ski up that had run fine and i couldnt get it to fire after i just had it out on the lake ripping around for about 10 mins?

Any ideas? I came back home and they fired right up. I'm about to just take them to the shop and get them checked.

Anyone?

When i would grab the throttle i would get this "airy drone" like your bogging the engine and it would just shut down.

Started it up on the hose tonight and it would sputter out. Had to feather the throttle to keep it going until it steadied out at 3000rpms on the hose. Im thinking the carbs need rebuilt. Thoughts???

+1
    air leak?

did a compression check and all cylinders running close to eachother

It would sputter out on the hose lastnight. I'd start it. It would rev up and by the time i made it to the spigot it would sputter out. Finally i just turn the water on and laid the nozzle in the yard. When I got it to start and feathered the throttle to keep it going i put the hose in and ran it.

Checked the water separator and there was liquid in there. Drained it and ordered new fuel filter, vent check valve and carb rebuild kits. I'm going to drain the gas tonight and get 5 gallons of fresh gas in it with some sea foam. see if that helps.

+1
    There is a big chance it is your carbs, especially if it sat all winter with untreated ethanol gas. Skip the sea foam it wount do anything for you if your carbs need to be rebuilt. Almost all fuel additives are just some form of alcohol which means your just adding more ethanol to your fuel. Ethanol by its self is already a very strong solvent hence it eats everything. When you add more alcohol to fuel that has ethanol you are going to put it in the danger zone by running it lean. You need to add more oil accordingly which no one does.

If you would like to read up more on fuel additives read this link.
    http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forum...your-rush.html

The gas was treated. But i still think its the carbs. Its been acting funny since last season we i sucked some seaweed into the prop. Its been down hill since then. Its something to do when its under load. When its on the hose it idles fine. I havent figured it out yet.

+1
    If it runs fine on the hose and bogs down and will not move and bogs or dies when you give it gas in the water it's the carbs. Don't keep trying to ride it, the jets are closed up and its not getting enough fuel which means it is running lean. 2 smokes don't like to run lean they go kaboom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information