2008 GTX limited 215... questions for someone stepping up from an older 2 stroke RX

Ok guys, I have read the stickies and done some searches. I feel like I have a pretty good idea of the path I want to take with the 2008 GTX limited 215 I'm looking at tomorrow. My previous ski was a 2001 SeaDoo RX 951 carb'd model. Now i'm stepping into the 4 stroke supercharged arena and need just a little more input that I haven't found on the searches yet. Can someone give me some advice?
    • What kind of things can I actually check while I look at it? This one (2008 GTX limited 215) has 60 hrs and still has over 2 yrs of extended warranty left. That is a big peace of mind for me. I will check speed on the factory GPS and rpm's tomorrow when I test it.
    • What do I have to do to get the warranty transferred?
    • I know a supercharger rebuild is recommended at 100 hrs, is there anything else on these ski's that typically fails? I understand this one has upgraded washers in the supercharger, so I shouldn't have any worries there right?
    Now, assuming I get it, I can probably spend 1-2k on mods. I like the idea of getting an X supercharger and 42# injectors (figure that will be around $1K). Also, the OPAS blockoffs perhaps. Acceleration and holeshot are most important to me, while top speed is secondary.
    • Are there any writeups/pics that could help me with the supercharger swap? How difficult? I work on cars as a hobby, but have never worked on jet ski's.
    • Will the dealer be ok with an X charger if I had a warranty issue?
    Thanks guys for all the help, this forum is great!

+1
    Look in the how to section for sc removal. Do a compression test first. Then check out the pump and wear ring as best you can. Get a flash light and look from under the ski through the intake grate. Check the oil and pay attention to the smell look and you can also taste it to check and see if it has a sweet taste to it. Look at the dive shaft and check for corrosion issues. You can sometimes tell how well the ski was taken care of by looking at the way the engine bays appearance. Check all the cables and linkages and ask if you can see the maintenance records or speak to the wrench who performed any maintenance.

Just thought I would post a few pictures--I ended up getting this ski! Love it so far! I think I'll probably do an X charger and 42 lb injectors to start out with.

+1
    you have a sweet garage man.

+1
    I would check into putting mods and maintaining the warranty....
    I've heard that they can blame a failure on your mods and void ur warranty..

+1
    Congrats on the ski!!!!
    They are pretty bullet proof if you maintain it properly..
    Don't be afraid to hold it wot.. they are built to run wot...

Thanks guys!

I was going to get a "feel" for the local dealer here to see how they felt about upgrading the supercharger. I would even let them install it if it would help keep my warranty intact. Has anyone else had any experience with that?

+1
    Very nice garage and TA, what year? Mods depend on your dealer, talk to them. Nice purchase I always like that color combo.

+1
    I've been reading a lot about how people added mods and lost the warranty...
    Keep your stock parts and switch them back on before bringing your ski into the stealerships..
    If they say it will not void your warranty then GET IT IN WRITING!!!!!!

Ok, I spoke to my dealer today on the phone and I don't think they will be cool with the mods--I mentioned upgrading to an X supercharger and 42# injectors and he acted like there was a lot more involved than that. Said I would be better off trading ski's for a 260. I don't think so! I suppose I'll just put the mods on myself and if it ever needs to go in for service, I will remove them and swap back to stock. Should be simple enough with just a supercharger/injectors, and maybe an air intake right?

And thanks for the compliments on the garage. The T/A is a 99 with 150k miles and is my daily driver:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2496c.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	332.7 KB 
ID:	271865

Thread Information