Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water coming in throuh rule electric bilge pump

Anybody ever heard of this problem? I have a 99 GSX-L that takes on water when parked. I traced it to the bilge (electric one). Water is coming in through the bilge when it's off. A lot of water. Is there supposed to be some sort of check valve on the bilge to prevent this? Should I replace the bilge? Btw the bilge haddock been installed in there with no problems for years. All of a sudden it started doing this. I didn't change anything. What do you suggest?

+1
    Where is your outlet mounted?
    If it is above the water line then there is no way it could come in.

Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    Where is your outlet mounted?
    If it is above the water line then there is no way it could come in.
    Outlet is mounted in the stock location just above the exhaust outlet. But yes it is below waterline. That's the factory location, I haven't changed anything... It's so strange because it was fine for years and just started doing this...

+1
    try to get the outlet line well above the waterline and that should help, Check your hose clamps and put some new sealant around the bilge fitting.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill19 View Post
    try to get the outlet line well above the waterline and that should help, Check your hose clamps and put some new sealant around the bilge fitting.
    +1 The outlet line has to be above the water line. Maybe you had it there before and it got moved too low

Quote Originally Posted by jhill19 View Post
    Thanks... I'm gonna try to replace the bilge first just in case it has a check valve that went bad.. Failing that I'll plug the hole and re-drill it above the waterline and move the hose...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lstorm2003 View Post
    Thanks... I'm gonna try to replace the bilge first just in case it has a check valve that went bad.. Failing that I'll plug the hole and re-drill it above the waterline and move the hose...
    Don't waste your money replacing pump if it works. Outlet line is probably the culprit. Outlet can be low, but hose has to have a loop higher than water line.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lstorm2003 View Post
    dont waste your money, there is no check valve in those pumps. trust me.

i had the same issue as you, water was coming right in through the pump. i even looped the hose up high, still sucked it back in.

plug and re-drill above water line.

Thx for the tips everyone... I'll try the hose loop first, then if not I'll plug and re-drill.... Will let u know how it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by icdoo View Post
    Don't waste your money replacing pump if it works. Outlet line is probably the culprit. Outlet can be low, but hose has to have a loop higher than water line.
    +1. Need to loop the outlet hose. Although i do not think I would want the through hull below the waterline either way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information