Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Impeller/Wear ring damage?

Long time listener first time caller!

I am fairly new to PWC ownership so please talk to me likeI'm 3rd grader.

So I let a friend ride my 08 RXP-X last weekend. everythingseemed to be fine when I rode it earlier in the day. at the end of the day whenI went to trailer it i was playing around jumping my own wakes and trying toblast my self out of the water out of the hole. Typically the ski provides morethan enough power to do this, for some reason the ski was unable. and then Inoticed that as I was making a tight turn to churn up some waves to jump it waslike the ski wasn't getting traction. I at first thought it was from some badgas that I may had purchased from small marina on Lake Martin in Al. I took outagain today with a fresh tank of good gas. The same issue presented itself. Myfirst instinct was to check the impeller and wear ring for signs of damage. Idid and didn't see anything obvious. There was a small gouge in the impellerand some scrapes on the wear ring. I do understand that there are tighttolerances for these machines but are nicks this small going to have that muchaffect?

I did snap some pics.

in pic #53 you can see the small nicks on the blade of theimpeller, and one decent size one on the leading edge of the blade.
    In Image 76 one of the black teeth at the upper left of thepicture that appears broken, there is one also broken on the lower left (notvisible).
    Pic 81 shows that there is a flatter (more worn out) area onthe outer edge of the blades especially the lower one in this pic.
    Pic 83 is hard to see but, there is a linear groove (notnatural) like something scraped running from 3 o’clock to 12 o clock. (1/4circumference of the wear ring)

So my question is...is this enough damage to create thispower loss out of the hole?
    If not...I sometimes jump the ski and do not let off thethrottle in time to prevent it from hitting the rev limiter, but always let offbefore i hit the water...could this be the problem?

Thanks for any insight!

Ryman

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0076.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	271044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0053.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	271043   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0081.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	271045   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0082.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	271046  

Not sure why the spaces went away. Is this something that happenes when you copy a post from word?

Hopefully its still understandable.

-ryaman

+1
    Obviously you have sucked up a stick or something and dinged the pump housing, wear ring, and impeller. From the pictures it does not look like much, but there could be something still lodged in between the impeller and wear ring that is not seen in these pics.

I would remove the pump and inspect everything every close.

The other issue that needs to be checked is your SC slip - I suspect that is what your real problem may be!

thanks for the insight.

So I guess the first order of business is to take the pump off and take a look? I looked around by the cone as much as I could and didn't see anything between the impeller and wear ring. I did call a dealer in the local area and he told me that the supercharger is typically accompinied with a cooling problem. I have no cooling problems. Not sure how expereinced of a service man he his. I think I may take it the 6 hours back to it's normal mechanic to take a look at it this weekend.

there is one more thing, but I think it's unrelated...the beeps at when I connect the dess key are a lot more quite than normal, not sure if that indicates a malfunction or sevice code.

is there a sure fire test other than removing the SC to see if it has failed. I've never worked on my jet ski before, but have worked on cars quite a bit and am somewhat mechanically inclined, do you think removing the SC is worth the trouble for a novice?

Thanks

Ryan

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
    So I guess the first order of business is to take the pump off and take a look? I looked around by the cone as much as I could and didn't see anything between the impeller and wear ring. I did call a dealer in the local area and he told me that the supercharger is typically accompinied with a cooling problem. I have no cooling problems. Not sure how expereinced of a service man he his. I think I may take it the 6 hours back to it's normal mechanic to take a look at it this weekend.

there is one more thing, but I think it's unrelated...the beeps at when I connect the dess key are a lot more quite than normal, not sure if that indicates a malfunction or sevice code.

is there a sure fire test other than removing the SC to see if it has failed. I've never worked on my jet ski before, but have worked on cars quite a bit and am somewhat mechanically inclined, do you think removing the SC is worth the trouble for a novice?

Thanks

Ryan
    I can't tell from the pics but, my bet is that your wear ring is toast. It dosen't take much wear to get them out of tolerance.

+1
    I have an '06 RXT, but I don't think the SC set up is changed much. Remove the clamp and hose exiting the lower portion of your SC. Try and spin the wheel where the hose came from. It should be quite difficult to turn, if at all. If it spins freely, you've got an SC problem of which you'll have to pull and inspect further.

BTW, my experience is that the wear ring doesn't have much tolerance at all when it comes to "wear": nicks, cuts, gouges... Nor your prop when it comes to dings and chips. That loss of "traction" you mentioned is likely cavitation if the issue is the wear ring/prop. Best of luck,

So if it ends up being the wear ring. What do you think about replacing the stock ring with a stainless one? I've heard varying Opinions on this!

+1
    depends on what kind of water your ride, if your worried about sucking up a rock or something stainless is not for you, plastic wear rings are a lot more forgiving. if you suck up something with a stainless ring most likely your prop and ring will be trashed.

+1
    Only you know the answer about which ring is best, but consider this: I'm on my 2nd ring in 6 years (plastic). Now compare the cost of the two plastic rings to the one stainless... Of course either could be toast tomorrow...

When i sucked some crap in the pump on my 05 RXT it did the same thing as you are having happen. It cavitated (lost traction) really bad comming out of the hole and also when you would want to flip it around it would cavitate really bad. I checked my wear ring and found alot of groving from sucking up crap. Replaced it and all was good. As for the stainless ring, if you ride in very very clean water then i would go for it but if you ride in any type of dirty water then you should go with plastic as they are cheaper the buying a new prop if its gets damaged since the stainless ones arent as forgiving as the plastic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information