Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Question help - Leaking heat exchanger (ride plate) RXT

Slow drip from the ride plate coming through. Drips faster when pumped up to 13 psi. Looked at the open loop systems as being an option to over ride this problem, but then read that it might not be a good idea sucking in cold lake water through a hot aluminum engine. showthread.php?t=146068&page=3

Didn't see much info or cost to replace the plate (or gaskets) in the microfiche, and have heard from a few in the past that it's a pain in the ass to pull off the craft.
    So I don't know what to do at this point.

Can I (should I) leave the pressure cap loose on the reservoir bottle when I ride so there isn't as much pressure build up in the system, or will that mess something up?
    Can I use some special metal putty (or something) where you see the leak area at that blue gasket? (see arrow, and leaks on both sides)
    *Notice, the fluid is not coming from the drain plug. Just looks that way in the image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1-IMG_0371.jpg 
Views:	694 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	271053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a2-IMG_0371 copy.jpg 
Views:	686 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	271054

Dry it all off and let it sit for a while. Then confirm EXACTLY where the leak is STARTING...it could be just a screw or two from the rear of the plate in that area. If it is, just drain the coolant and pull the leaky screw, add some sealant to the threads and reinstall. Mine had a leak in the back from one screw and it collects at the back and down by the drain plug like you see. I didnt even drain all my coolant...I just hurried up and ran the screw back it and it actually stopped. You'll need to pull the plate if its coming from a screw that you cant get a tool onof course.

Be aware that some of these screws are frozen more than others. Sometimes you need heat to remove them. First try gently/firmly cracking the leaky screw loose. If it barely cracks loose, then retighten and untighten a bunch of gently times so that you work it loose slowly without snapping it in half. Eventually you'll get it loose enough to keep unscrewing. You can replace the screws but they are $5 each.

If it's dead solid and you need heat, maybe try running off the hose for a minute and then cracking it loose etc...

+1
    Thanks for the tips blkturbo!.
    I did a soap test (attached images) and pumped the system to 13psi.
    I'm going to get some sealant today and pull the two back screws again. I say again, as the one had a mushroomed looking seal under it, kind of squishing out. When I pulled the screw, seamed like there was a small wad of black silicon decomposed and barely attached. I imagine it had more in that area at one time?
    I didn't see any damage or cracks in the plate, so I hope it's just as simple as fresh sealer.
    Cheers bro

PeterClick image for larger version. 

Name:	bubbles2.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	271297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bubbles1.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	271296

Yes it's probably just a sealant issue. Several of mine have the sealant looking all squeezed out. I think they just don't do a good job there from the manufacturer.

+1
    That has worked to stop the leaks. Just have one left to redo. Glad I stopped in to a forum to ask, as the dealership was ready to sell me a new plate instead of fixing it. DOH!
    Long live Green Hulk!

Hell yeah! Nothing like free (and realistic!) help from surfing the web, lol. Glad its working out

Looks like I have the same issue! what did you use to seal it? Is it it a problem that needs addressed before the next ride?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
    Looks like I have the same issue! what did you use to seal it? Is it it a problem that needs addressed before the next ride?
    I used black RTV silicon from the auto supply shop. I had three screws leaking. Sealed two and had to redo one of them. Haven't been out yet since I fixed it, but planning on it by the weekend weather permitting. Rain...arg) That said, it has seemd to work.
    Also to note, dealer said it doesn't show as a serviceable part.

Quote Originally Posted by SideFX View Post
    I used black RTV silicon from the auto supply shop. I had three screws leaking. Sealed two and had to redo one of them. Haven't been out yet since I fixed it, but planning on it by the weekend weather permitting. Rain...arg) That said, it has seemd to work.
    Also to note, dealer said it doesn't show as a serviceable part.
    Good to know...thanks...What do you mean by redo though?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
    Good to know...thanks...What do you mean by redo though?
    There was one of the three that didn't seal properly, so I drained all the fluids, tilted the bow up and let it sit a couple days. Then pulled the one that still had a slow leak and smothered it with the RTV and set it back in.
    I've been giving it a few days to cure this time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information