Thread: Frozen bolts

Frozen bolts

Most of e bolts on my 2000 Polaris SLX 1200 are frozen. Those that don't snap are frozen. If I get them out the threads are coated with a heavy white paste almost like salt. I need to get a bolt off the exhaust pipe at the bottom, very difficult to turn with limited space to reach.

Any help, recommendations would be much appreciated.

Jeff

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by heebeha View Post
    Most of e bolts on my 2000 Polaris SLX 1200 are frozen. Those that don't snap are frozen. If I get them out the threads are coated with a heavy white paste almost like salt. I need to get a bolt off the exhaust pipe at the bottom, very difficult to turn with limited space to reach.

Any help, recommendations would be much appreciated.

Jeff
    that's why I tack on $60 an hour for salt water boats. Get some vent line and attach it to the spray wand of your liquid wrench and bury the entire bolt with it..multiple times. Tap it with something that can reach. While you can't use flame direct..you can heat up your wrench with a torch and sit it on the bolt to warm it up a bit. Now turn it a few degrees each way soak and repeat. If you are using screw extractors, but the best ones you can get your hands on.

At one time there was a nice bit on the web called "the art of extraction"..but it looks to be gone these days..yup..a shame..nice bit on the ins and outs of broken bolt extractions

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    I have recently went thru alot of work on the Goldwing I'm restoring, and have dealt with alot of "Frozen" bolts, jet and other things, I have found that Patience is the key. One thing that has really been a life saver on parts you can not put a touch to. A Cheap heat gun, a heat gun can create enough heat to expand without melting aluminum. And another product called FREEZE made by CRC, I have heated the area were the threads are and then hit the bolt with Freeze and hwve got lucky, also when your heating with the gun use PB Blaster, if they don't come,soak with Blaster and come back and heat again.

+1
    This is why I put anti-seize on just about every bolt on my boats. I'd rather spend more time doing routine maintenance then fighting frozen bolts.

Banned User
    +1
    I'm pretty sure my X45 had seen salt water. It was a real bitch to take apart and almost every aluminum part on it was junk. Luckily, I only broke one bolt

Something an old time machinist taught me that works pretty good, that is if you can get some heat on the bolt or stud. Heat it up, then just touch some wax to the area that is siezed. Capilary action will draw in the wax and act as a lubricant. I have had pretty good luck with it.

Thread Information