Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Oil change on VXR

I changed my oil & filter over the weekend after hitting the 10hr mark. I did the change myself and used a manual vacuum pump. I understand that the oil is covering all of the internal parts and I will not extract every ounce. I was surprised to only see just over 2 quarts come out. I added (***update***) 3.5 quarts of new oil. Do these numbers seem to be in the ballpark when extracting/adding oil?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Get those other 2 quarts of oil out....only replace the oil you remove.....now your 2 quarts over filled.....you can remove more oil by letting the front of the trailer all the way down and jack the right side of the trailer up ...you can get about 3.25 quarts of oil out......

+1
    Wait a sec here!! You got 2 qts. but added 4 qts????

That is NOT good my friend

Unless you were 2 quarts low...which is a problem in itself, but as stated before, you will be over-filled on your oil, which will be a problem! I believe if you run it over full, you will saturate your air filter and cause other issues!

+1
    fyi...when i picked up my VXR from the dealership I had to add two quarts of oil to bring the level to the normal hash mark on the
    dip stick...it is possible that you were low.....I double checked everything on my new ski before i ever rode it to make sure it was serviced properly. when I did my first oil change I got 4 quarts out ,using a motorized oil sucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    I changed my oil & filter over the weekend after hitting the 10hr mark. I did the change myself and used a manual vacuum pump. I understand that the oil is covering all of the internal parts and I will not extract every ounce. I was surprised to only see just over 2 quarts come out. I added almost 4 quarts of new oil. Do these numbers seem to be in the ballpark when extracting/adding oil?
    I agree, you probably just overfilled your oil. Take out enough to get it back up to proper level. Next time, before you remove any oil bring the level up to proper level on the dip stick. Then remove the oil and note how much you took out and replace the same amount. My Service manual say you should be able to get out a little over 3 qts using your vacuum pump. From the manual:

Recommended engine oil:
    4-stroke motor oil
    API: SE, SF, SG, SH, SJ, SL
    SAE: 10W-30, 10W-40, 20W-40, 20W-50
    Engine oil quantity:
    Total amount:
    4.3 L (4.5 US qt, 3.8 Imp.qt)
    Without oil filter replacement:
    3.0 L (3.2 US qt, 2.6 Imp.qt)
    With oil filter replacement:
    3.1 L (3.3 US qt, 2.7 Imp.qt)

+1
    I'm thinking I was 2qts low right out of the dealership...

I did lower the front end of the trailer as well. I initially added 2 qts of oil after extracting 2 qts, but the dipstick still showed "low" so I added little by little and checked the dipstick until it was at the proper level. Took her for a ride and everything was fine.

Just to make sure everything is in order, I'm going to pump out the oil that is in it now to see how much I can extract then add accordingly...better safe than sorry...

I'll let you know the numbers later on

+1
    you know you have to run the motor for a few mins then let it settle for a few minutes and make sure its level (the motor)....to check it correctly....If a ski is 2 quarts low the oil light should have come on.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    you know you have to run the motor for a few mins then let it settle for a few minutes and make sure its level (the motor)....to check it correctly....If a ski is 2 quarts low the oil light should have come on.....
    Yes, it's like every other engine when changing oil. And i do agree with you about the light. Like I said before, I took her out later that day with no issues & she ran great...not sure what to make of it.

I put the Yamalube 4 stroke oil in, so what the hell, I'll do it one more time and use synthetic

+1
    If you have the stock air intake , pull the filter out and make sure its not soaked with oil.....short term running to much oil you should be ok....long term you can blow out seals......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information