Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Removing Engine

Removing Engine

Ok, so I'm taking out the engine on my sl 650. I've got the 4 bolts taken out and some of the hoses disconnected. Its moving but I cant get it out. Its still connected to the drive shaft (or whatever its called). So my question is 1. do I need to take the drive shaft off, and 2. how do I do that?

Banned User
    +1
    Remove the jet pump and the drive shaft pulls out the rear of the ski. Do you have the electrical disconnected, as well as the pipe and carbs?

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Remove the jet pump and the drive shaft pulls out the rear of the ski. Do you have the electrical disconnected, as well as the pipe and carbs?
    Not the carbs..

Banned User
    +1
    I think you can get it out with the carbs on, but its probably a little easier with them off.

Carbs or pipe/manifold have to come off. I've found that one or the other usually lets you get it in/out.

Yeah you have to pull the shaft for sure and exhaust, carbs and intake no but pulling the carbs at least will make it easier. Be careful as u will need to disconnect some wires from CDI to actually take it away from the ski, pretty much the whole harness, its not hard just take a close up picture and then write down all colors and what they were connected to. I also wrote down colors and orientation of wires that were close just to make sure I got it put back together right. Good luck, also make sure not to mess with the shims under the motor plate they have to stay the same, and check to make sure there isnt a ground wire at the base of the plate in the back middle, mine had it I dont know if yours will.

Thanks guys! I got the engine out, but I have another problem. I took off the front cover of the stator magneto and there are 2 gears, a big and small one. On the big one there is a big nut that I have to take off in order to get to the other bolts. The problem is, when i turn the nut the whole thing turns. Any ideas on how to keep it from turning?

Dont turn that nut LOL. Just grab that sucker and pull it out. Its a secondary gear, once you pull it off youll see how it works it only pushed in and should be real easy to pull off. Also there was a washer either on the end of that gear or probably stuck to the stator cover look for it and make sure you put it back on.

Are you sure? I pulled that thing as hard as I could and it wouldnt move. Is there something else I need to do first?

+1
    Yes you need to remove the flywheel nut then use a puller to remove the flywheel. You can hold the flywheel from spinning with a large screw driver or a rag stuffed between the gears.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information