Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

people really ride gpr's for 100+hours and have nothing go wrong or is it consipracy?

this is a rant thread, so if you dont like those, i dont really want your smart comments

so i bought this 1200r with like 90-95 ish hours on it, i put 12 hours on it (all stock, bought it with a d plate) and it dropped number 2. disappointment then followed, i pulled the ski apart and found that the pin had come out of a power valve.

i rebuilt it, used a powervalve that was given to me from beerdart (big thanks for that again buddy), put 3 new pro x pistons in it, cleaned out all the cyl walls, used all new gaskets, new crank seals, pressure tested it, had oside bill redo the carbs, premix, wave eater clips and springs, and so on and so forth.

put about 20 hours on it, been running great. was leaking a little bit of water around the plug holes, pulled the head, posted the wash and plugs, all looked good. one of the bolts had water in it, and pshhtt'd when i broke it loose (has me thinking)

went out and rode it today, did great, had 2 bars of fuel, it didnt want to start then idled like shit. i knew what had happened in all honesty but i knew i was low on fuel and that sometimes makes it not want to run right, so when i get home today, its got its normal 110 on 2 and 3, but like 40psi on number 1. the plug had a little water around it and looked like the plug threads were wet, which is peculiar.

so im about to pull this motor apart again and im starting to wonder how people ride these things for more than 100 hours and have no problems. its really beginning to become a farfetched goal. i didnt think i was being too greedy by reusing the stock crank and the stock nicasil, but who knows. my feeling is that a powervalve just came apart on me this time, since it has wave eaters. the guy that always chimes in and says that powervalves are a wear item comes to mind.

there are no signs of anything going amiss other than water, plenty of oil on plugs, wash looked good 3 hours ago when i had the head off, ect.

who knows. this hobby is expensive.

sorry to hear about that Mike!
    not that it makes you feel any better, but you`d be surprised at the amount of uncared for ski`s put away wet, morons wrenching on them and those are the ones that run forever...you lift the seat and say OMG, go figure...

find the root cause, you said water, so did the head leak, something crack or come loose...
    well don`t let it get ya down, have a look and see what happened and what the cost is to get it back up and running...

and very true, expensive it is...
    Good luck bro...

Banned User
    +1
    I'm not a fan of the power valve motors because of this known issue. Really making me think about selling it before something big breaks. Not cheap to fix

+1
    I picked up mine with 113 hours all original motor and stock except D plate and wave eaters, but I needed to get the carbs rebuilt. After that I put 67 hard hours on it before I spun the 3rd piston ring. The hours I put on it for the most part where spent at WOT in the ocean with constant unhooking. To be honest I'm surprised my crank survived. So all in all I had 185 trouble free hours on mine. I think I probably could have avoided it if I did a top end rebuild earlier, but the trained yamaha mechanic who rebuilt my carbs and was going to rebuild my motor told me I had nothing worry about.

I feel your pain last summer I only got 5 hours on it before it went. I bagged my season and started saving my money to make it better and stronger. I was lucky enough to score a brand new crank(Thank You smacota1) that was T&W with a upgraded crank snout bearing. It is way over kill for what I will ever throw at it, but it is going to give me peace of mind. My hardest decision came down to if I was going to rebuild it myself, but I just didn't have the time or place being away at school. I had someone lined up to rebuild it, but ultimately I didn't trust him because he didn't want to do what I wanted(did not want to install a new crank and every time I talked to him the price went up). I figured if I was going to put the money out I wanted it done right and I wanted it to last. I was even about to give WFO a call, but for logistical reasons went to Carl. I'm hoping for at least 3 solid seasons out of this motor then I would like to do a conversion with a 1.8 liter HO motor for a super reliable ski.

Boating in general is super expansive, but I love every minute of it even with the fuel and oil prices. Hell all in all I have spent over well over 6k on the ski, new trailer and maintenance. I could have sold it and bought another one used, but I didn't want anyones problems. My hull is mint and looks better then 98% of skis half it's age. Its unbelievable how some people treat their stuff. Save your money and do it right. The fact that you have already rebuilt the top end before shows you know what your doing. Look on the positive side you can now build it bigger faster stronger and you will know exactly what you have. Good Luck with the rebuild.

+1
    The proper jetting of those carbs and the TLC they always need has got to be frustrating...many times its the root cause of engine failure or at least a properly tuned and running ski....Maybe its time to cash it in and go with at least an EFI ski...or even a conversion!..you might enjoy that build since you have the hull and enjoy wrenching...G/L

+1
    College is all about preparing you for adulthood. Just consider your GP1200R as a science lab.
    You'll get it right soon enough.

Moderated
    i have 190+ hours on my hull now and 40 or so on this motor, about 75 on the last motor and 80-90 on the stock one it came with.

none of my builds have failed but i got rid of my PV's quick smart and run the riva gas valves now and have for 110+ hours.

sounds like you have cracked something from the water on the plug..or its getting in somehow.80+75

+1
    well i got no idea what happened to this piston. it took me about an hour and a half-2 hours to get all of the exhaust off, and the head and the jug and bag and tag the bolts. heres the piston

the odd thing is that im missing like half of the top ring.

see, not there, not in the bottom of the crank case either.

top of the piston has indentions in it from debris, but the head is fine, thank god.

it looks like the nicasil wore out around the top of the exhaust ports, this is jug number 1, its the worst pic, the jug is grooved and will need to be refinished

all the other pistons show the same wear right above the exhaust port, here are pics of 2 and 3

any ideas?

+1
    The rest of the ring went out the exhaust i bet.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 04gtxsc View Post
    The rest of the ring went out the exhaust i bet.
    +1 damn that doesn't look good but have seen worse

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information