Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 2001 Polaris Virage "newbie questions"

Ok, second year on the water. Just put 1k down on a 01 Virage with 77 hrs, freshwater only, PA rivers.
    No manuals.
    What I would like to know is where to dl an owners manual, and service manual.
    Also, any goods/bads about this machine? It has 3 letters after Virage, but I forget what they are. It's red in color if that
    helps. TXI maybe?
    Tks in advance peeps!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doo1.jpg 
Views:	2076 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	271154  

TXI

It's a triple cylinder, 1200cc, fuel injected engine. Start reading HERE and most of your questions should be answered.

Tks!!

Good info there.. Any idea where I can dl an owners manual? I don't wanna lock it by mistake and not know how to unlock it.

Ok, went to test drive it today in a local river.
    Compression on all 3 is around 120 each; so thats good.
    Hard to start, seems like it kicked on as soon as you let go of the start button.
    Then the nightmare began...
    Bogged a bit (figured cause it sat all winter) but finally got on plane and got up to 50. Seemed to have a dead
    spot in the throttle. Then, *poof* dead. Now the river was high cause of all the rain here, but no other boaters out.
    Tried to start it, just cranked. Floating fast past the launch area, finally ended up hand paddling to a grassy shore.
    Seller found me, and got a rope on it. No place to get it back on trailer.
    Finally got it running, but had put unit in reverse while drifting. Feels very stiff to move lever, did not want to go in fwd.
    After 10 mins of fiddling and driving upriver in reverse, got it finally in fwd. Eased into the gas to about 20mph with the bogg still.
    Came within 200 ft of the loading dock, then it died again. No start again.. drifted and hand paddled to shore again, and then had to wade thru
    bushes, water, small trees, etc to get to loading ramp (1.5 hrs)

Ok, any ideas here folks?
    A)seems to start only on releasing the starter
    B) boggs, then goes, then dies.
    C) shifter cable very stiff, prolly not lubable as I suspect a sealed cable. **Found answer on other thread for this..**

Any input would be appreciated..
    One more thing.. As I was winding the winch on the trailer, it did it's usual clicking. But when I released it, instead of it locking, it spun
    unwinding, and whacked my hand. Almost instant red/blue, and a good size goose egg. Not broke tho.
    Is this an Omen NOT to buy this Polaris?

Dead spot in throttle could be a throttle position sensor problem. The shutting down issue might be related to an LR module problem, which may also be tied to the only starting when the start button is released. Lots of little electronic issues with the injected skis, but when you start figuring them out they are decent and run good. My son likes our Virage TXI the best of all the skis we have.

If you are interested in a project I would low ball the heck out if it and see what you can do.

I wouldn't pay any more than you already put down.

I paid about that apiece for my i and TXi and have had to put new EMMs (computers) in both of them, TPS on both, fuel restrictors on both and a fuel pump on one....plus a bunch of other little stuff.

It'll add up very quickly.

Best case, you need a TPS @ $90, maybe an LR module @ $105 and worst case an EMM refresh/repair @ $600. Plus it'll likely need the fuel return line restrictor repair which is cheap but takes 4-5 hours.

This is assuming you do all this yourself. If you were to bring it to a shop, you'd be looking at another $400+ in labor.

I would bet he has low fuel pressure or a bad TPS like comp said. Would check for 20 PSI on the schrader valve and see what you get then go from there.

If it has a fuel pressure problem dont bother taking the fuel pump apart to repair, just buy the Kawasaki regulator and put it in the line. Is a 10 minute fix.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofalltrades View Post
    I would bet he has low fuel pressure or a bad TPS like comp said. Would check for 20 PSI on the schrader valve and see what you get then go from there.
    Good point. And you're most likely right.

For a quick check, you can partially clamp off the return line (I have plastic hose clamping pliers just for this purpose) and take it for a quick spin and see how it acts.

Tks peeps. Gonna talk to him tomm, might just pass on this one. I wanna ride, not float!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information