2000 GTX Rebuild question

My 2000 GTX-DI appears to be locked up with appx 175hrs. I had one person say that it has too many hours to do just a top-end only and said that a complete engine swap was highly recommended. Is there any rule of thumb on this? I'm not sure of the total damage but assuming that the crank is good, will I be safe with the top-end rebuild only? Thx

+1
    Until you tear it down and inspect everything any answers are just a guess.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrastrike View Post
    My 2000 GTX-DI appears to be locked up with appx 175hrs. I had one person say that it has too many hours to do just a top-end only and said that a complete engine swap was highly recommended. Is there any rule of thumb on this? I'm not sure of the total damage but assuming that the crank is good, will I be safe with the top-end rebuild only? Thx
    Hopefully there wont be a hole in the case too.

Just curious what ended up needing done and how much it cost. Just bought the same ski and it has 130 hours on it. Not sure if its ever been rebuilt or whats been done to it. Its been very well cosmetically maintained though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler10r View Post
    Just curious what ended up needing done and how much it cost. Just bought the same ski and it has 130 hours on it. Not sure if its ever been rebuilt or whats been done to it. Its been very well cosmetically maintained though.
    I took the ski to a local shop to have it looked at. The next day they called back and said that apparently one of the rods had blown a hole in the engine. It wasn't visible at first but once the top exhaust was removed, the hole was about the size of a .45 shot. Mechanic said that someone had apparently been in the engine before due to the coloring of the gaskets used and he blamed the mishap on a lean condition. I purchased a jet pump from another member here (Jim) who is very knowledgeable and he thinks that it could have started with the seized jet pump from last year. I haven't gotten an estimate from the local guy on a new engine yet but Jim said that based on the description of the hole size it can be welded and ultimately fixed without having to replace the engine (based on the condition of other internal parts).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrastrike View Post
    I took the ski to a local shop to have it looked at. The next day they called back and said that apparently one of the rods had blown a hole in the engine. It wasn't visible at first but once the top exhaust was removed, the hole was about the size of a .45 shot. Mechanic said that someone had apparently been in the engine before due to the coloring of the gaskets used and he blamed the mishap on a lean condition. I purchased a jet pump from another member here (Jim) who is very knowledgeable and he thinks that it could have started with the seized jet pump from last year. I haven't gotten an estimate from the local guy on a new engine yet but Jim said that based on the description of the hole size it can be welded and ultimately fixed without having to replace the engine (based on the condition of other internal parts).
    I had the same thing happen to me. But was easy to fix. Something like this?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1999 Seadoo GSX L - Upper Case - 1.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	272188

+1
    Here in the island it's common to do some welding on the cases. just make sure they get all the rough for the welding out. You can also look for them on ebay used. Just make sure you get the set. Hope this helps.

Thread Information