Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris Sl 650 Issues

HI Lads

Firstly excuse me if you dont understand me as i'm in ireland and my slang might be a bit strange.

ill introduce myself, i'm a avid jets ski fan and have deen messing arounds on skis for a long time mostly on seadoos and kawasakis (king of skis ) but reacently bought a 92 polaris sl 650 from a friend who bought it in pieces from another, basicly it has been in pieces for the last five years. so after me having it for a year i decided to put it together finally.

being a car technician by trade i've a good grasp on how things work. so i stripped it apart, checked the engine for compression 145psi. stripped the engine apart and found new 0.5mm oversized pistons in her. All internals were in great nick (condition) including the crank, bores and heads. so a new gasket set was put in and the whole lot was put together.

the stator was knackered (burnt out) so i purchased one from ebay along with a matching flywheel and electrical box/cdi. but the lot back together into the ski with new fuel pipes, auto cock thrown out, fuel valve thrown out, clean tank and filter and carbs set to stock settings.

turned it over and with a drop of fuel down the carbs and she fired up. a bit of tweeking and she ran like a dream for the first day.

second day out and the trouble started and its a fueling one (anyone suprised )

when rebuilding i went to the trouble of puting a rebuild kit in the fuel pump, but it is only the single outlet pump as could not find a triple pump on ebay. I also put a restrictor on the return pipe to build fuel pressure, she is bogging down and goes a small bit with a little choke.What ever fiddling with the carbs i do makes no difference i.e. more fuel less fuel.

so with a little taught these are my following options as i think its a fuel supply problem.

SBT do a helper pump kit, is this any good?
    What about an electric pump, WEBCON in england do a low pressure (5psi) pump for weber carbs, would this do?
    Triple outlet pumps are hard to get would an polaris ATV pump do the Job?

Did no damage by the way the cylinders are still producing good compression.

Not going to give up on this ski as i'm determined to get it right and i love old two strokes, for the small spin i got on this it was great craic (fun) aon the water plus i was told it would never go again so i would like to rub it in the persons face.

Ye are a great bunch of lads (people) with a lot of know how and would love if ye could help.

Sorry for the long post

Thanks

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk! The triple outlet pump can be had here on ebay (USA):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-...#ht_1256wt_905

or from John Zigler at

www.WATCON.COM
    211 Glen St. Janesville WI 53545
    Phone: 608-743-1305

I am pretty sure John will ship internationally and has just about anything you should need.

Also check here for all the information you need:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...t=15473&page=2
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=148277
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24846
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15433
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15473

Keep the questions coming and post pictures along the way!!!

I agree with Bluefish, you have to get that triple pump or sooner or later your going to burn it up, and there not that bad I think given the current crappy value of our dollar it will probably be spare change for you. That ebay one is a triple but I head somewhere that original pump that were on the ski had a much high flow on them so if that is true I would try to snatch one of them up. Correct me if im wrong?

Triple pump + make sure you have the restrictor installed. I really doubt the stock 650 pump was higher flow than the 780 octagon pump.

well lads
    here is the update.
    went at the ski tonight and think i have found the issue. the ski started to take in water and as it ran a crap oil water mix residue came on the plugs so i think that water is going in through a dry oil crank seal (from sitting up).

i also put a carb balancer on the carbs and the middle one is breathing a lot less than the other two, so i think the lack of a stuffer on the inlet is the issue there.

so ordered the seals and stuffer tonight came to around 60 euro or the price of a tank of fuel in the ski.

so will have to wait for them parts from the good old U S of A to come before i will go at it.

thanks for the replies
    this forum is great.

Quote Originally Posted by nick072010 View Post
    I agree with Bluefish, you have to get that triple pump or sooner or later your going to burn it up, and there not that bad I think given the current crappy value of our dollar it will probably be spare change for you. That ebay one is a triple but I head somewhere that original pump that were on the ski had a much high flow on them so if that is true I would try to snatch one of them up. Correct me if im wrong?
    Let me clarify what I meant. As I re read my post I can see how what I said make no sense LOL. What I was trying to say was that I heard the original 780 triple pump that Polaris put on the ski's have a higher flow than that after market triple pump, and if that is so then I would try to get a hold of an original and rebuild it. Yes the original 650 pump is total crap and if you keep it there is little doubt in my mind you will be re building at least one jug, Polaris admitted themselves there was an issue with them.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nick072010 View Post
    Let me clarify what I meant. As I re read my post I can see how what I said make no sense LOL. What I was trying to say was that I heard the original 780 triple pump that Polaris put on the ski's have a higher flow than that after market triple pump, and if that is so then I would try to get a hold of an original and rebuild it. Yes the original 650 pump is total crap and if you keep it there is little doubt in my mind you will be re building at least one jug, Polaris admitted themselves there was an issue with them.
    This is not the case.

Yes, the 780 has a high output triple outlet fuel pump (pentagon shape) 65L per hr.

The 650 and 750 came with a round single outlet 35L per hour. They are not junk. The autocock that some models had caused issues, so they put out a bulletin to remove those.

We recommend the triple outlet round fuel pumps (35L per he) for the 650 and 750 as they don't need the high output like the 780 since the HP they make is less.

Here is a good case of misinformation. I take XLINTS advice over mine anyday.

well lads another update, ordered seals and took out the engine,

but when it was on the ski it look like it was blowing out the crankcase under the starter near the back of the ski, i taught it was where the crank case splits, but is it possible that it could be blowing from this hole (A) in the picture. there seems to be one of these for each crank chambers, is this a drain of for the crank.

Please help would love to have this back on the water soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP4757.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	271414

sorry lads i ment A in this photo thats my ski above.

is this hole supposed to be sealed with a bolt or not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP4761.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	271415

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information