800 gp dischargeing

I have two gp800's, one of which discharges the battery when left for a number of days. While trying to find out why it discharges the battery, I discovered that the one which is working properly will draw current for about 5 seconds when you hook the battery up then stop. The ski that is discharging the battery doesn't quit drawing current when you hook the battery up, so the battery goes dead. Does anyone know what causes the initial current draw when the battery is hooked up and more importanly what causes it to stop. I checked the starter relay and the rectifer and they are ok. Is there something possibly in the gauge unit that draws the inital current and and then shuts off. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    Try disconnecting one connecter at a time and see what connecter stops the current draw,how are you reading the current draw?

Sean

2000 xl800
    2000 gp800

+1
    Swap the battery's you may have a battery going bad. at least you will know if its something simple. I did have a display going bad and beeping for no reason that would kill the battery but it took a while.

I am checking the current draw with a milliamp meter positioned between the battery positive post and cable going to starter relay. I tried disconnecting the connectors one at a time and found that the four wire connector located under the seat stopped the current flow when disconnected. It contains a red, black, green and pink wire. These wires lead to the gauge cluster. I think I will put a switch in the black or red wire which I think will do the same as disconnecting the four wire connector and stop the current flow when the ski is setting for a period of time. Anybody know of a reason not to do this, or which of the wires between these two would be best to switch. By now I am assuming something is malfunctioning in the gauge cluster. None of the other connectors stopped the current flow when disconnected.

+1
    looking at the diagram i would switch the red it looks like the power going to the display it's probably a bad display if it was one of the sensors feeding it i would think that would have showed up when you dissconnected some of the other connectors

Thanks red71, I agree and i'm going to switch the red wire, I haven't had this ski on the water yet so I don't know if the gauge functions or not when riding the ski. It runs through all the test checks ok.

+1
    Have your battery load tested. I bet it's bad.

Thread Information