Thread: Smoking Exhaust

Phil

Smoking Exhaust

I went out to Sea on Sunday, just wondering, when I came onto the beach for a break instead of pushing it back out, I waited for little waves to take me out, by doing this when I put the throttle on I cold feel it digging into the sand and probable sucking sand in.
    Could this cause a problem?
    I am assuming things like sand getting sucked in get sucked straight through and out.
    The reason I am asking is because after this, there seemed to be a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust?
    My dials told me it was low on oil but only cos was up and down in waves, the oil does need a top up but its not ridiculously low.

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

Banned User
    +1
    What ski ? Regardless any ski if u suck shut up it will damage the pump. Bad idea

Most PWC manuals say do not operate in less than 3+ feet of water. 1 little rock can ruin pump or impeller. But, I see people do it all the time. They get on ski in 1 foot of water and then look surprised when they hear that awful grating sound and ski starts cavitating. Thats why my own rule is never operate in less than 5-6 feet. Sand may not be as bad as rocks but its still abrasive and can easily cause damage. I wouldnt want it swirling around in pump and impeller even if it does blow out. I cant see a connection between exhaust smoke and sucking up sand, however.

+1
    You ARE kidding, right?

If not, it could cost you some big bucks. The cooling water comes from the jet pump. If you're pumping sand into the engine, instead of water, you can plug up the cooling system and cause it to overheat. This can cause major damage, and white smoke (steam) could be a sign of a blown head gasket.

+1
    ultra 260's have a bad habbit of blocking the head drain hose to the front waterbox when you run the engine on sand the sand wont pass through the valve on the box. as steve has said its not the pump i would be worried about (of course it will get damaged also but the motor also injests the sand into all cooling passages)

Phil
    Thanks for the replies, so in the future I wont be lazy and ill push it out to sea, first time I have done that. Hopefully it will be okay and not be damaged.

Cant be lazy even once underway! I am perched here on a prop killer sandbar with Deadman's Island in distance (last weekend). Ive seen stand ups jump it, but never a boat or PWC. Every year or so I renew my challenge, run what you brung, Ill stick with my bone stock 260, but we go my course with no GPS and no bs practice runs...300, RXPX, SHO, GPR, makes no difference...preferably in high wind, rain, chop and darkness...may make a few spins around Deadmans just to make sure everyone is awake....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5120219 (2).jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	271743  

Phil
    Yea it looks really shallow there

+1
    I've run as shallow as 6 inches, but you'd better not stop!

Phil
    I think thats the mistake I made

Thread Information