01 GP1200R bogs under load

Hi Thanks for reading my post. I'm hoping for some advice from the experts here on this forum. My GP1200R came out of storage after running well last year with a serious bogging issue.

Info: She runs beautiful on the trailer - revs right up to the limiter easily and sounds like she should. In the water she bogs and only hits about 5k RPM at most and then needs the choke and WOT to limp back to shore. On the trailer all three plugs look like they should with all three firing and none oily etc. In the water the cyl 3 plug is wet with gas and the other two look normal. It has the D-Plate and chip. Comp test shows 115PSI on all three cyls. It has new plugs (BR8ES-11). I see good spark on all three when I test. I was thinking fuelk filter or pickup may be clogged but out of the water there's plenty of fuel flow it seems. Carbs? Reeds? Both? Anything else to check? THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR HELPING!!!

~~~PIZ~~~

+1
    I would look carefully at the fuel. Sometimes when there is not enough fuel to fire, the plug will be a bit wet because there was no combustion to burn it off. There are small fuel filters in each carb and they can get clogged enough to run on the trailer but not enough to pull a load like in the water. With the crappy gas available at most places, fuel is one of those things that can be a problem that shows up between the last time you use it and now. The bogging you had last year is an indicator. Probably better pull the carbs and rebuild them.

I hear you. My 98 SPX still had the grey fuel line on it a couple of years ago and the carb filters got plugged. OK, I'll pull the carbs and rebuild. Should I use the Mikuni kits? Here's the ebay link that I found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-1200-...item27c6521acb

Also - how would I know if one of the crank seals is blown? Seems to be a decent amount of oily water in the hull. Many thanks for your responses!!!!

~~~PIZ~~~

Sorry - The link above was for the non-PV motor. Here's the correct one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-1200-...item2a1c32b2b7

Whoops - that links was for the non-pv motor but you get the idea. Thanks.

Yeah. Use OEM Minkuni kits. I am going through the same thing. OsideBill recommends to only use those plus in the how-to section there is a sticky about rebuilding carbs with the kits. Worth having a look and seeing if you think it is something you can tackle yourself.

Thanks DIZ!!! I think that I will send them out - why mess around and plus that I don't have the pop-off tester. Also any idea how to know to know if one of the crank seals is blown? I have a decent amount of oil in the hull along with the normal bit of water that's in there. Thanks!!!

~~~PIZ~~~

Thread Information