Supercharger install help

Hello,

Today I removed my supercharger so I could install my new intercooler. After putting in the supercharger I remembered the riva instructions saying to check o-rings and add oil before reinstalling. Should I take the charger off and look for anything? Can I add the oil with it installed and how much do I add? I haven't started the motor and the gasket on the charger (that goes between the charger and oil pump) looks brand new.

Thanks,

Lou

+1
    They say to check the gasket because it's possible for it to pop out of it's groove as you're installing the SC. You probably would've noticed if it wasn't seated properly before bolting down the charger. I usually use a little red-n-tacky grease to hold the gasket in place during assembly. The oiling port is in the top center of the housing right above where the shaft runs through, & yes you can easily get to it after the SC is installed. I use a medical syring(no needle) that I had for measuring chemicals for my fishtanks for oiling the shaft. I slowly pump it in while spinning the wheel to work the oil in. There is a paper gasket under the oiling port bolt that really should be replaced every time, so just keep an eye to make sure it's not leaking oil if you reuse it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sdman View Post
    Hello,

Today I removed my supercharger so I could install my new intercooler. After putting in the supercharger I remembered the riva instructions saying to check o-rings and add oil before reinstalling. Should I take the charger off and look for anything? Can I add the oil with it installed and how much do I add? I haven't started the motor and the gasket on the charger (that goes between the charger and oil pump) looks brand new.

Thanks,

Lou
    Re-using the purple gasket is fine. I've had my charger off twice. First time the gasket stayed in place. second time the gasket came off charger. I used a thin coat of grease to hold it in place during install. As long as it stays in the grove of the charger and doesn't get pinched, it's fine.

No o-rings on the charger. But, there is a gasket under the bolt to lube the shaft that yamaha recommends replacing after each removal. I think it's overkill and yamaha is just being on the cautious side. I've had that bolt out 4 or 5 times to oil the shaft.

All you're doing is oiling the shaft bearings after charger install,before first start up after working on the charger. I dip a drinking straw into oil bottle. Hold finger over top to hold the oil. Put the straw into hole. Reach into front of charger with other hand and spin impeller as you let your finger off the straw to feed oil in for 10 seconds or so.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charger.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	271229

Thank you for the replys. How much oil should I use?

Lou

+1
    A teaspoon of oil is more than enough to pre-lube the SC. I used about five drops.

Hello,

I need a new gasket for the pre lube bolt. I checked riva and the store here and they want $1.00 for the gasket and $10.00 for shipping. Is there a alternative that I can use? I would like it by Thursday and the store is saying 5-10 days for shipping.

Thanks

+1
    Here ya go...only $1.75 shipping & you save a whopping $.27 on the part. Might as well order a few extra so you have spares for future maintenance.

https://www.boats.net/index.php?p=cart

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sdman View Post
    Hello,

I need a new gasket for the pre lube bolt. I checked riva and the store here and they want $1.00 for the gasket and $10.00 for shipping. Is there a alternative that I can use? I would like it by Thursday and the store is saying 5-10 days for shipping.

Thanks
    haha $10 shipping? Really? for a 2 oz part

Thread Information