Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

newbie-what to look for in a used pwc

I have been looking for a used ski for my family(3 of us). Due to my work situation I think that I will be in the two stroke market. I would try to do most of the wrenching, maintenance myself.

Ideally I would like to get a 3 seater to pull a tube, etc and a two seater that would be a little faster. These would only be used in N. Ca lakes.

I am open to any brand but I figured that I would post in the Seadoo forum first since they seen to be the most popular.

We rode our friends 155hp gtx 4tec and that was a lot of fun.

I did use the search but did find much that was really relevant. This probably comes up all the time.
    Any help, tips are greatly appreciated

+1
    I have a 1997 Yamaha WAVE VENTURE 1100 - 10' 32 seater with a single place trailer for $2,100.00. It has about 160 hours on it. I just had it out on the lake 2 weeks ago. For sure the 2-strokes are easy to work on. What kind of budget do you have to work with? That will also help with the choice. I would get at least a 1100 3 seater 2 stroke that you can work on.

I am thinking $5000 total, My wife may disagree with this though. My dream deal would be to trade a bunch of electrical work for one though.
    How does your ski compare to the 4tec that I rode? It can pull a tube?

What should I look for on hours, 100hrs=rebuild time? Compression?

+1
    96-97 seadoo gtx, comes with the super reliable 787 110hp engine has a gps top speed of 52 mph. Plenty of storage in front, and under backseat plus in front of where you sit for smaller items, it has reverse as well and would be great for tubing. For a 2 seater a 96xp or 97-99 spx all three are same model except different colors and samd 787 110hp engine stock does 56mph and is very nimble. With a 5k budget you can easily get both ski's. compression on the 787 motor should be around 150-155 on both cyl. IF you find one change the gray fuel lines for ethanol friendly black 1/4 in lines from any automotive store. Make sure things are gunked up. Read this site for lots of info.... www.seadoosource.com THe bottom line with any ski is good compression and if its a seadoo the full synthetic oil either amsoil, mercury sold at walmart, or seadoo synthetic NO tcw3 oils! I'm partia to seadoo's esp the 787 engien i'd shy away from a seadoo 951 engine or the DI or RFI as carbs are much more simple. Hope this helps.

Scott

+1
    You need to check compression and see what the compression should be. My yamaha is 110 hp. It goes 50+ The 2-stroke is inexpensive to rebuild. 4 stroke will cost a lot more. Just for giggles go to www.shopsbt.com If it were me I would stay with the 2-stroke if you are looking to get 2 skiis and a trailer you can do that for that price. For example the 4 stroke rebuilt is $1K and the 4-stroke is almost $2K

Thanks for the info so far. I did find the sbt site before and poked around.

Are there any ski's that are known to be problem child's?

+1
    +1
    96-97 seadoo gtx, comes with the super reliable 787 110hp engine
    Same with the XP. (Reliable engine design)

Are there any other brands/models I should check out?

+1
    I know you want two ski's but seeing as you liked the 4-tec so much why not but an older wake edition with the 155 and call it good? Much less of a hassle then two strokes, not to mention you dont have to worry about going to a lake where two-strokes are banned!

The two local lakes, Berryessa and Sonoma, that I checked with are two stroke legal.

What is special about the wake edition?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information