Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sunk my bike!

Sunk my bike!

Hi, first post, thanks for helping..... So I just sunk my bike (2000gtx rfi) "the dragon" getting towed out of a super shallow soft muddy area where I bogged it down and could not clear the super thick clay like mud out of the pump. No clamps for the intake hose so by the time I got it to the trailer engine was full of water (and the hull too of course)

Pulled plugs, blasted water out, flushed with wd, repeated a lot, fired it, changed plugs, runs great on the hose, ran it for 30 mins probably on hose (yesterday). Dropped it in h20 today and am only getting 4200 rpm and like 18 mph tops. Changed plugs again, no better, running nice on the hose again right now.

Advise really appreciated (I'm sure this has been covered before so thanks for your patience and pointing me in right direction.

is this purely engine performance related, or is possible its the pump or impeller is being jammed up with something i am not seeing, or damaged....it was PACKED with super thick clay like mud (with shell debris and weeds and stuff), after cleaning it out i also had fishing line wrapped around drive shaft too. i didnt run it much like that, tried to flush/shake/pull mud out a few times and rally outta there, but couldnt, and then towed it back not running.

was totally somewhere i should not have been .....

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    pull the pump. I bet there is more in the pump/prop area that you have not seen yet.

ok, sounds fun .... can u point me towards a "how to" thread for this bike or similar

also ..... if i rev it quick while on the hose it will hit 7800, like on the h20. never noticed what it hit if i did that before or if it went higher (i dont think i ever revd it hard on the hose before). would it do that if there is junk in the pump?

thank you, btw

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubasco View Post
    ok, sounds fun .... can u point me towards a "how to" thread for this bike or similar
    take the bolt out of the steering cable, take the trim arm off. take the 4 bolts off the pump that connect it to the hull. then wiggle and pull. its RVT'd on there pretty good but it will come off. basic hand tools will accomplish this. I think that your going to need a 10mm and a 15mm.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    take the bolt out of the steering cable, take the trim arm off. take the 4 bolts off the pump that connect it to the hull. then wiggle and pull. its RVT'd on there pretty good but it will come off. basic hand tools will accomplish this. I think that your going to need a 10mm and a 15mm.
    Sorry, but these instructions are wrong. (There is no trim on a GTX, you forgot the reverse bucket, and they changed pump design in 1997 to the new-style mount without RTV)

Pulling the pump is really easy, shouldn't take you more than 15-20 minutes the first time you do it, once you know how you can pull it in less than 5 minutes. You need two 10 mm wrenches, and a 17 mm socket with long extension. Take off the bolt out of the reverse bucket arm, take out the bolt attaching the steering arm, remove the 4 nuts holding the pump onto the pump holder bracket with the long 17mm extension, and the pump will just pull right off. Don't lose the washers behind the 4 -17 mm nuts, there is one flat washer and one lock washer per nut.

ok, thanks for the tips. what am i expecting to accomplish by pulling this thing and looking at it. i'm doing it right now. if its not pump related, what engine issues could i be looking for.

need this bike running again, its my work bike. (thats right, my income depends on riding this thing, dont hate)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubasco View Post
    ok, thanks for the tips. what am i expecting to accomplish by pulling this thing and looking at it. i'm doing it right now. if its not pump related, what engine issues could i be looking for.

need this bike running again, its my work bike. (thats right, my income depends on riding this thing, dont hate)
    your looking for anything that doesnt look normal. damaged prop, stripped splines, debris in the pump ect. Engine issues may vary. if the ski is not over heating you are doing good. I would pull the water box and see how much clay you have in that also. ive seen some people completly fill a WB with sand. If you do have a ton of clay in the WB i would pull the exhaust maniflod and exhaust and clan out the water jackets.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information