Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Can just a waterbox scrub 300 RPMs and speed?

Okay I was able to get back to the lake today after having Jerry reset the slip on my SC since it's full rebuild in Nov.
    Earlier this year, my 05 RXP OEM waterbox internals came all to hell apart...I've since removed the debris from inside (back in Feb or sometime). Shortly after that plus some minor downtime here and there, I've started noticing the RPMs were coming up shy @ only 7700-7800 and my speed was getting cut by 2-4mph.
    So, the SC slip is set back to 15lbs where Jerry set it back in Nov....I thought for damn sure this would cure my RPM and speed issue. Well, the ski runs the same! Jerry told me the slip was 10.4lbs when he got it, and he's been setting it to 15lbs. Anyway, that rules out a slip issue, even though it was off about 30-35% and obviously needed a reset anyway....(which is why im in total shock that I still have this problem/runs the same).

Soooo, without going way off in left field and guessing at all sorts of wild, unrelated shit and trying to dream up something way too technical, Im wondering if maybe my waterbox issue isnt quite cleared up by simply yanking out the debris (4 large pieces came out)???
    The reason Im sticking to this logic so far is because it's the only mechanical issue I had this winter, and before this, my ski had been running top notch and flawless for 1.5yrs straight (winter and summer months). Im going to swap out the waterbox to rule this out, but I wanted to bounce this off yall to see if it's even possible that a whack waterbox could even possibly shave 300 RPMs and a solid 3-4mph (not opinions, but mechanically possible at all)??

And it's not the weather change either, because the ski has been running like this on cold water and very cool air also earlier this year when this whole saga started. And, my ski never drops RPMs in the summer here (I only lose speed to the heat). It's always spun 8100-8150 (might lose 50 RPMs in the summer down to 8100).

Thanks,
    sean

+1
    check the hose and outlet to make sure some debris didn't make it half was out before it got wedged.........

Well I've had the rubber hose off a couple times lately, but I haven't checked the OEM platic (or fiberglass) tubing that exits to the OEM exhaust tip. Not a bad thought, if it's possible for something to get blown that far downstream

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Pay no attention to some jackass with a Yamalog avatar who post's in the Doo threads.... cause he's obviously a --->> ......

I'm depressed I hope it's just my waterbox....I dont have all next month or two to be chasing my tail with this. Man I've gotten so spoiled with this thing running perfect for so long. Of course the timing sucks so bad too - hello summer!!

+1
    an exhaust leak could cause those symptoms but for everyones sake including yourself get the wideband hooked up

Quote Originally Posted by jhill19 View Post
    an exhaust leak could cause those symptoms but for everyones sake including yourself get the wideband hooked up
    My plan all this time was to get past all my recent set-backs and then move forward with the subject you mention here. Dynojet has a guy that is supposedly willing to help me make progress with all the monitoring devices and tuning. But, I'm getting punch-drunk with these recent set-backs, however minor or not.

Meanwhile, I don't believe in tuning something thats not running normal to begin with, especially since I have a feeling its gonna take some work getting the guy to meet me at the lake and move forward with this CMD marine device etc. I dont have any local guys available to me that would know how to help me and teach me about that stuff. So, Im at the mercy of DynoResearch's schedule, and weekends are seemingly out of the question.

If push comes to shove and I continue to lose months of time like this, I may just give back my CMD marine device and get a RRFPR like most others in here and call it a day.

Off topic to my waterbox questions at hand, which wideband is everyone using anyway? I could benefit with that with or without an auto-tune device, correct? And would also help me IF i were to get a RRFPR?

+1
    I run an innovate mtx-L, check all exhaust hose clamps, do a compression test, whats your spark plugs like? do you have a catch can? is it filling up? just racking my brain...

Plugs are practically brand new, always keep a fresh set in the motor. Compression was normal when I checked it after all this started. Catch can yes, but I've never seen it fill up. I've been all over these hoses more than a couple of times (plus today) throughout this symptom/waterbox thing started.

+1
    Have you ran without the seat on? This would rule out the exhaust leak. I'm going through the same rpm issue now, stuck at 77-7800 rpm when I usually run 8240... Bought a new MAPS and will run it this weekend so i'll let you know if it fixed my problem. If it did fix it I can bring one to BBSD for you.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information