Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    98gsxl951's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    On my ski, on the CT river
    Posts
    879
    +1
    3

    so why does my carbon ring look like this?

    HMMM? motor out of alignment? or? Never had had cavitation issues, water in hull, rpm loss, etc.

    Not sure if this thing is original ( 116 hours) or new as it was supposed to be replaced when i had my SC rebuilt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0394.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	271331  


  2. #2
    geowelsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
    Posts
    336
    +1
    1
    What does the hat look like? It was off center.
    I had a screwed c clip and my hat did not seat flat. I didn't get that pattern though.
    Was it leaking?

  3. #3
    98gsxl951's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    On my ski, on the CT river
    Posts
    879
    +1
    3
    it was pretty beat up. had a dent in one spot. unfortunately 09 and 10 rxpx didnt have the c clip style mine threads into the shaft. i lapped it a few times on a granite surface plate with some 220 carbide sandpaper and looks like new again.

    is it possible it was still out of center if it threads into the drive shaft?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0397.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	271334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0399.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	271335  

  4. #4
    Moderator Snoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    South Chicagoland
    Posts
    14,688
    +1
    846
    Had the same pattern on my Carbon Seal...come to find out the pump shoe was off alignment.....replaced the pump shoe and motor mounts and she is now good to go...

    IF i were you i would look first for a broken motor mount,IF all mounts are good then get ahold of and alignment tool and check to see if your motor/shoe is aligned...

  5. #5
    98gsxl951's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    On my ski, on the CT river
    Posts
    879
    +1
    3
    i jsut put the motor back in. other than visually inspecting the mounts, i saw nothing wrong with them. how do i check if my pump shoe is aligned correctly?

    http://www.seadoopartshouse.com/home...on/56497/56505

    the pump support?

  6. #6
    Moderator Snoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    South Chicagoland
    Posts
    14,688
    +1
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by 98gsxl951 View Post
    i jsut put the motor back in. other than visually inspecting the mounts, i saw nothing wrong with them. how do i check if my pump shoe is aligned correctly?

    http://www.seadoopartshouse.com/home...on/56497/56505

    the pump support?
    Correct,the pump support....you ill need the alignment tool to check this.....

    Here is a thread that not only show how to pull the pump shoe,but also shows how to check the alignment..i think its on page 5 were there are pics on this..

  7. #7
    98gsxl951's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    On my ski, on the CT river
    Posts
    879
    +1
    3
    ya i found all the threads. debating if i should just buy the damn tool from sbt and do it my self. lets say my support is off. what do i have to do then? pull the support shim and re adhere with some of the "right stuff" ?

  8. #8
    Moderator Snoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    South Chicagoland
    Posts
    14,688
    +1
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by 98gsxl951 View Post
    ya i found all the threads. debating if i should just buy the damn tool from sbt and do it my self. lets say my support is off. what do i have to do then? pull the support shim and re adhere with some of the "right stuff" ?
    IF and only IF it is off then yes it has to be pulled...You will need to get a new one as chances of getting it off without damaging it is slim.....then you will have to also buy some shims in case they are needed...i wouldnt use right stuff as it is a flexable silicone...when i did mine we used windsheild urithane...it drys fast and doesnt flex like standard silicone does..

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,599
    +1
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by 98gsxl951 View Post
    it was pretty beat up. had a dent in one spot. unfortunately 09 and 10 rxpx didnt have the c clip style mine threads into the shaft. i lapped it a few times on a granite surface plate with some 220 carbide sandpaper and looks like new again.

    is it possible it was still out of center if it threads into the drive shaft?
    I have a 2010 RXTX with the same drive shaft set up. Broke twice. Changed it to the 2011 C-clip set up and no more problems.

  10. #10

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. why my carbon ring not lasting long
    By starter99 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 07:58 PM
  2. Help! What does water in gas look like????
    By GROOVY MAFIOSO in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-03-2008, 09:08 PM
  3. Is this what my pump should look like?
    By flnsx in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-21-2007, 11:01 PM
  4. What I want my Jetta to look like
    By two2curupt in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-22-2006, 05:11 PM
  5. So what exactly does a piston rod look like??
    By two2curupt in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-20-2006, 06:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •