Yamaha Waverunner 1200xl ski..rebuild or part out? 65U engine

Ok, I got a bad deal on my last ski which was a 1999 XL limited ski with the power valve engine. I parted it out and got most of my money back after rebuilding it. It started to lose compression durring the break in process.

I just picked up a 1998 XL 1200 ski in great condition that has some rust on the cylinders and lost compression, but the pistons look fine and the head is good. It looks like the cylinder walls had a little rust, but everything else looks great. I'm trying to decide if it would be worth fixing up or part the whole thing out. I'm not real familiar with the non pv machine, so I'm asking for tips/advice. Thanks in advance I'll get pics up tomorrow.

+1
    Lost compression? I don't think the piston head is good even if it seem so. You can hone out the little rust. Non pv machine is easier to maintain the pv in my opnion.

+1
    65U is probably cheaper to fix then a PV1200 but it depends on whats damaged

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ogs/ski005.jpg
    http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ogs/ski002.jpg
    http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ogs/ski001.jpg
    Little slow on the pics, but here they are. It doesn't look to bad to me, so I think a top end rebuild is all it needs.

+1
    It does look nice , but how come it lost compression? Maybe the rust cause the ring to seat in the gap tide? Do a little cleanup and put it back to try the compression again?

Even if you get it running , that crank will be junk in a matter of hours. The rod bearings are not going to do well I would bet with the rust into them already.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zakre View Post
    Even if you get it running , that crank will be junk in a matter of hours. The rod bearings are not going to do well I would bet with the rust into them already.
    +1 It's only a matter of a short time before it goes boom with all that rust. Take it apart and inspect everything or part it out.

I agree

After a lot of research on here and other sites, I don't want to take the risk. The last rebuild made it 45 minutes and started losing compression, so I just don't think rebuilding skis is my calling. I appreciated the input from everyone, but I'm going to piece this out and take the cash. The brown in the pics on the crank doesn't look like rust in person, but I'm not a mechanic. It almost looks like a varnish? Maybe heat or old fuel...who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
    +1 It's only a matter of a short time before it goes boom with all that rust. Take it apart and inspect everything or part it out.

Thread Information