Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Stock VXS bounce at top speed... Is bucking next?

I have a stock 2011 VXS With 12.6 hours on it that starts to bounce at WOT ON FLAT GLASS and if I let off a hair on the throttle it stops bouncing... I'm reading a bunch of stuff about FZR's "bucking" and im wondering if that is next with my VXS since I'm feeling the bounce... Am I on the edge of getting bucked here? Anyone heard of this happening to a stock VXS/VXR?

Banned User
    +1
    Im no expert on these, but I have heard replacing the stock intake grate solves the problem.

+1
    From what I've read the WOT bounce is normal on the VXS.

Extensive mods on the VXS may increase the chances of a buck, but I haven't heard of any stock skis bucking.

Yes, I've heard the same about the mods... I've heard that if you do mods, you have to change the grate to protect against bucking...

I just worry about the bouncing because I've asked around and 90% don't experience the bouncing, so I was wondering if that's a sign of the failure that leads to bucking.

It does happen to some of the VXR/S skis. I think I read that someone moved back on the seat a little and it helps, but can't speak from personal experience. May be more prone to happen if the rider is lighter?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jayp0209 View Post
    I have a stock 2011 VXS With 12.6 hours on it that starts to bounce at WOT ON FLAT GLASS and if I let off a hair on the throttle it stops bouncing... I'm reading a bunch of stuff about FZR's "bucking" and im wondering if that is next with my VXS since I'm feeling the bounce... Am I on the edge of getting bucked here? Anyone heard of this happening to a stock VXS/VXR?
    Two issues here; bucking and bouncing...

1. Bucking or overstuff has been rarely reported here on a few VXR/S, see post no. 150 here:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...138148&page=15

2. The bouncing is something that another member reported on his stock ski, he was never able to resolve it; however others have no problem with this at all. It appears some of these skis may have been shipped with transom plate issues from the factory. I would take your ski back to your local dealer; show them this thread below and tell them the problem; also tell them to make sure your transom plate is trued with the pump tunnel. See some of the Hulk's comments about that here...
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...149648&page=33

As to your question; it's impossible to say for sure that your bouncing will lead to a buck or not. This has been reported more often on the stock FZ platform and in many of those cases there was no warning at all, just a sudden buck. Some have indicated it happened when chopping the throttle at high speed but others did not. Some of us have experienced bouncing as a result of modifying the skis, and this can be tweaked to a degree. But I can tell you for a fact that our FZ's did not bounce from the factory.

My suggestion; whatever you do, I would not attempt to "fix it" yourself, and I would not change out the OEM intake grate or anything like that. Keep it bone stock for now and take it to the dealer. If the dealer refuses to help, you may want to contact Yamaha corporate and seek a resolution there, because as a stock ski it should not be doing that and we want you to be safe out there. If they blow you off, tell them you are a Green Hulk Forum member and whatever experience you get (positive or negative) will be reported to thousands of Yamaha owners around the world.

I have many hours on my VXS (stock) and have not been tossed, pitched, or bucked. I have had mine WOT for miles and miles at a time and have never even had an "inkling" of being thrown off. After many hours I have noticed one thing though: When I had the "VXS" seat I did notice a slight bounce at times at absolute peak speed. I found it very easy to mitigate this with body control and throttle control. However, now that I am using a "VXR" seat (I just like the VXR seat better) I do not notice the bounce at all. I think this "bounce", when it happens, is just due to the fact that it is a VERY light Ski with alot of engine / power. It is a price this Ski pays for being as fast as it is (with no charger remember).

One thing I have not done is to go WOT and just chop the throttle . . . not really sure what this Ski would do in that scenario. But because I would never chop the throttle at those speeds anyway (you can't steer with no throttle) for me that is not really a valid test IMO. There was somebody on here a while ago who said he did that and he went Swimming with this manuever.

For those that want to take this Ski well beyond stock speeds, I would certainly look at plates, grates . . . all of it. JB

+1
    I have jet ski since 1993,kawa 550 650 750 800,yamaha 650 701 stock and limited,my first runabout(last year)was a 2007 seadoo Rxp,it was perfect in every condition you can drive it sit down or stand up,no problem.This year I change it with a VXR 2011 brand new,and I never hear it under my seat,you understand? I'm driving careful because once I fall down in front of the ski,yes I was full throttle on smooth water, I chop the throttle then I fly away.....I think at 60 mph,then I'm trying to set the ski to my drive experience, it is difficult for me to drive it stand up(with my legs on the back of the ski)I'm waiting for the riva SS intake grate and shimmimg the ride plate.This is it,I understand that we must pay something for the speed but on the RXP I don't have this payment......

+1
    i hit 71 on mine today and no bounce or bucking with the stock grate.....

+1
    just put a shim or 2 under the back bolts

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information