Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Intake Grate Comparision Question

Most everyone would agree that the 800 grate cavitates too much out of the hole, and provides a bit more speed on top end. The 1200 grate has better holeshot but less top end. (Yes, I know some disagree). Assume you set up two boats to be identical, with the only difference being the plates. From a dead stop the 1200 grate would most likely leap in front. what about from 10 mph? 20 mph? 30 mph? At what speed does the 800 grate become at least equal to the 1200 grate?

Got a project going and need some input.

Thanks!

+1
    Here's a thread to check out also
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8089

Personally, My ski has a better midrange "snap" from about 15-20mph on with the 800 grate >

With the 1200 grate, I have a massive holeshot

Besides the slippery holeshot the 800 has, its not that bad. Only if you NAIL it, will it burn the heck out of it when you take off.

WFO's EFI machine really surprised me with his 800 grate. I guess its all a matter of how you feather it while you are taking off.

I notice too the 1200 grate handles the turns better on my ski...the 800 will have a tendency to feel as if is wants to come unhooked slightly.

+1
    modded 800 for me,as billy says unless you nail it WOT from still (without jet works) you will see more advantage from the 800..
    on a rolling start the 800 yeilds a good distance on the stock 1300 and will hold it to bay as expected to the top,
    i have yet to try the worx grate and think the 800 will be a tough cookie to beat all round,
    just dont grab a big handfull of the 800 and it will see you right all the way

+1
    If you use the 800 grate (as I do), be careful doing any WOT pulls from a dead stop. It's a good way to burn your impeller housing liner.

ok guys,with all that being said. If you were going to set up for a 1/4 mile drag race with a equaly capable ski from a dead stop, would you put on the 1200 and nail it or would you put on the 800 and feather the throttle just a bit off the line? So basicly which will get me 1/4 mile the quickest?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by porksword View Post
    ok guys,with all that being said. If you were going to set up for a 1/4 mile drag race with a equaly capable ski from a dead stop, would you put on the 1200 and nail it or would you put on the 800 and feather the throttle just a bit off the line? So basicly which will get me 1/4 mile the quickest?
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16550

A lot of the guys use the 1200 grate because the holeshot is much better. But in 1000' the 800 grate will come on very strong on the big end, while the 1200 will max you out pretty quick.
    Last edited by WFO; 01-19-2007 at 12:22 PM.

Im thinking the 800 grate is a smaller opening than the 1200...If a person were to open the 800 grate up and tune it for holeshot, would this then become the 1200? Are the ramps also different?Maybe a dumb idea... large feed tubes in the 800's ramp(OR THE 1200'S), at both sides before,the impeller... at hole shot the suction at the pump would pull more volume of water thru the pump ..as it comes to speed forward momentum would push water back thru the other way(RELEAVE THE OVERSTUFF)??????? Has any one experimented with extending the length opening FORWARD? say opening the 800 up more in length... Im thinking then you would have more volume at hole shot and then less at speed because you would pull 'dirty' water as the hull comes out of the water????
    Last edited by w/rpm500; 01-19-2007 at 12:49 PM.

+1
    The "ramp" on the 1200 grate forces the water directly into the tunnel. The "ramp" on the 800 grate forces the water directly into the pump.

So It Is The Ramp Not The Opening Size???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    Im thinking the 800 grate is a smaller opening than the 1200...If a person were to open the 800 grate up and tune it for holeshot, would this then become the 1200? Are the ramps also different?Maybe a dumb idea... large feed tubes in the 800's ramp(OR THE 1200'S), at both sides before,the impeller... at hole shot the suction at the pump would pull more volume of water thru the pump ..as it comes to speed forward momentum would push water back thru the other way(RELEAVE THE OVERSTUFF)??????? Has any one experimented with extending the length opening FORWARD? say opening the 800 up more in length... Im thinking then you would have more volume at hole shot and then less at speed because you would pull 'dirty' water as the hull comes out of the water????
    I think just about everybody has tried different things with the grates and some resulted in some nasty high speed get offs. I wouldnt suggest machineing on a grate unless you dont mind getting tossed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information