New XLT1200 Owner.

Want to say hello and thanks to everyone on here you have contributed a ton of knowledge. So after moving to Hawaii a few months back, I just bought my first Waverunner, a 2002 Yamaha XLT1200 with 116.8 hours on it. I got a great deal on her, but knew tons of work were in order to maintain longevity. Basically the ski is 100% stock except for the D-Plate that the previous owner had installed. I checked the compression and it was 125,125 and 120. So after reading up on this forum for 2 weeks prior to purchasing, I made a list of things I needed to do.

1. Most importantly, I ordered the Wave-Eater clips and PowerValve couplers.
    2. Ordered 10 feet of racing fuel line and 10 feet of oil lines, ordered 50 Oetiker clamps(too many) for the oil lines and 25 larger clamps for the fuel lines.
    3. Took apart the carbs and did a full rebuild with original Mikuni rebuild kits (3 kits)
    4. All new intake gaskets to reassemble the carbs back on.
    5. Bought all new replacement hardware for the carbs and switched the stripped outer screws to stainless hex for easier removal in the future.
    6. Had to replace the factory pads since they were torn to shreds (He used a rescue sled a lot), so I put on Diamond Cut Hydroturf in black. Now I will tell you, taking the old mats off and trying to remove the rock hard adhesive had to have been the worth thing I have ever done.
    7. After the carb rebuild, I drained the gas tank and replaced the fuel filter.
    8. Added 2 stainless rod holders to the back since I bought the ski mostly to fish with at Oahu FADs buoys.
    9. Took an 8.5 hour long Thrill Craft class which is mandatory in Hawaii for safety and rules. I already owned a boat before, so am very familiar with the water and the general rules.
    10. Ordered full service Manual from Yamaha
    11. Replaced all plugs and have 6 on board since I have heard they can foul easily.
    12. Ordered and added all safety stuff, and bought a new extinguisher.

So some questions I have, what else should I do to keep the engine as safe as possible? I have taken the ski out as far as 15 miles offshore and was pretty confident I would be safe. Also, I was given a gallon of Yamalube, but since the cats are out, what oil can I switch to and run. The closest dealer is downtown and not very convenient from where I launch the ski from. I have read Quicksilver is fine and also Penzoil from Walmart.
    And one thing I should have done was change the Idle cable since it was already stretched. After the carb rebuild, I tried to turn the knob and had a really hard time, so had to run the ski all day with it dying out at idle. If I kept the revs around 2000, it stayed on fine. Was wondering if I can adjust the throttle cable screws to raise the idle some, since I don't want to get back in there to replace the idle cable. What can I expect about fuel economy (I know it sucks already) and oil consumption. I used 1/2 tank of oil per full tank of gas and ran the ski about 60 miles.
    Well, thanks everyone for the help and knowledge about these awesome skis.

+1
    It sounds like your on the right track. every once in a wile pump a couple of pumps of grease in the intermediate shaft it has a hose with a fitting bolted to the rear cylinder.

some times that cable on the idle adjustment is hard to turn and you can pop it off the bracket and straighten it out then turn it if you can get your hand between the pipe and motor. you can loosen the clamps on the boot between the U pipe and cat, pipe and turn the boot to get your hand in there.

Have fun with the waverunner-fishing ski and welcome to the Hulk.

I'd only run yama-lube oil. Did the ski sit long before you bought it? I'd just make sure the battery is holding a good charge. Other than that just go through the manual and double check all the service points. Take it for a good long ride then check the plugs when you get back. I add some yamaha fuel additives and sea foam everyother tank. Just keep up with the easy maintanance items and you will save yourself alot of headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Diznasty View Post
    I'd only run yama-lube oil. Did the ski sit long before you bought it? I'd just make sure the battery is holding a good charge. Other than that just go through the manual and double check all the service points. Take it for a good long ride then check the plugs when you get back. I add some yamaha fuel additives and sea foam everyother tank. Just keep up with the easy maintanance items and you will save yourself alot of headaches.
    Thanks, I ordered 4 gallons of Yamalube 2W off ebay since it was a ton less expensive then the dealers here in Oahu. The ski sat for about 6 months, but the previous owner stated that it was started every 2 weeks and let run for about 10 minutes. I figured it ran really well on the test drive since it was a quick high speed run out the ramp and around for a while. After purchasing and another run and taking some hard turns, I figured I sloshed the "jelly" in the carbs into the fuel filters, so that's when I concluded it needed a full carb rebuild.

So this past weekend, took her out with a full tank of gas and oil. Ran her 50 miles, used 2/3 tank of gas, and 1/2 tank of oil, but the idle was still off after adjusting. I pulled the choke out about 3/4 inch, and she ran great the entire day. I tried pulling the throttle all the way in, then adjusting the idle cable....think it may have worked, but I think it is still off some.

So have another question, got the ski up to 54 mph tops. Ran great, but realistically most of the time I run her in the high 30s, low 40s. So when cruising at say 35mph, it runs steady, but then I hit a small wave, the impeller spins faster out of water, then it feels like the PowerValves kick in hard and then the ski just takes off and jumps to say 45-50mph, until I release the throttle a small amount. It feels like the powerband of a two stroke dirtbike, but a lot more violent. I am just wondering if this is normal. Thanks!

+1
    You are going to love that jet ski and two people can ride comfortably. When running right, the ski is thoroughly enjoyable. After I bought mine, the jet ski stopped running and I had to go through the rebuild process. I ended up doing some very basic mods, including r d intake grate, replaced the ride plate inserts because they were spinning in the hull, r d ride plate, pump seal kit, new 13/19 prop, flame arrestors, rejet and rebuild carbs, lower and top end rebuild, and primer kit. have fun. michael

+1
    Do not run fuel additives in your motor. Ethanol is already a strong solvent. You are just adding more alcohol to your tank creating a dangerous lean condition. Very few are safe to use with ethanol gas. If you would like to read up more about fuel additives click the link below.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forum...your-rush.html

Thread Information