Thinking about getting a jetski- lets see your opinions what to get

Hi, new member to the site, happy to find a forum that's actually alive. Seems like on the level with arcticchat for sleds. I've been thinking about a jet ski for a while now. Still have to sell my boat that I'm not looking forward to but kinda want some cash but still thinking about kicking about 1500 for a ski, so I still would have a toy. We've always rode arctic cat sleds but since all they really made was the tigershark for a couple years thinking pass there. So I'm thinking polaris and keep it american plus my grandparents had a couple polaris 4wheelers when I was younger and they were always good. But I've heard that repairs are expensive with them out of watercraft business. Not to familiar with the models but was thinking a sl900, otherwise maybe a pro? Not sure what all the models are with the slt, slth, sltx, etc. And if I don't go polaris I was thinking seadoo. When I first started looking I was thinking an xp or spx but now not sure. I like the look of the body style, colors, and looks like a fun machine. Was also thinking about a gsx, and unless I find a polaris thats good for me, that might be my goal to find, although see a lot more spx's and price matters too. Sounds like it's still a fun performance ski just a little more stable with 2 people. I've only been on a couple skis. Last summer drove a 900zxi kawasaki and liked the handling and playfullness of it. So I'm wanting something that I can have fun on by myself, but still be able to cruise with a girl on the back and not dump her in the cold water. Want something that looks cool not a big old 3 seater that my grandma would drive. Also want something that's not constent problems, don't have money or knowledge for repairs all the time. Probably forgetting stuff but this is probably fine for now. Thanks in advance for your replys.
    Eric

Banned User
    +1
    Where are you located? I have this one for sale........

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=149104

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk Eric.

Thanks beerdart. Hey Bryan, I'm actually from Wausau. You're form Milwaukee right. Looks like you had a project on it. I'll have to think about it, don't really want to get into something where I'm goona be putting money into. But looks like you did a nice job on it. Either way I still have to sell my boat but just got it back the other day, so I'm goona take it out and hopefully everything's good and get a ski session in and return a few phone calls. I end up getting one I'd probably be down for a ride-lake sounds awesome down there. Lake Wausau is fun too, just have to be careful in the boat, way more bad area to drive than good. River channel changes depth and logs and stuff getting taken down. But on the ski you don't have to worry. So I'm really trying to get an idea of what I should be looking for. Like I want something fun and fast for me but still be able to ride 2up occasionally halfway comfortably. When I was checking out the sea doo gsx that sounded like a good combo- still can do 2 people but small enough to have fun. What would be a polaris model that's close to that? All I've really been seeing is the SL class and the Pros. How would an SL be with 2 people? And I'm kinda picky about color combination too. Although just a tad more stable than the zxi would probably be good with a girl on back. Again not that familiar with all the differences just want to know the different classes. I don't know if anyone is familiar with arctic cat snowmobiles, but what would be some models like that of the ZR or Firecat as far as peformance and having 2 people do able but better with one? Sorry about the analogy, but I know their sleds and just trying to get an idea of what's good for me. And again reliability is huge, don't have much money, job kinda sucks on the pay, and not much mechanical know how, so mostly would be paying someone to do thework. I really do like the looks of the sea doo spx- apparently they're nice but how would that handle 2 people? Any more info would be great! Eric

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Nimble and quick 2 seater and 2 up ride comfort generally don't go together on any ski. If you want real 2 up comfort then you really should be looking at a 3 seater. That said, I have ridden many times on my SL with a passenger it can be tricky at low speed but when you're on a plane it's absolutely stable just depends on what kind of riding. It also takes a lot more effort from the driver on a 2 seater.

Banned User
    +1
    My SL 900 requires absolutely nothing. Every part of it has been gone through. Its about as close to a new ski as you can get, without it being new. It should be good to go for years with just basic maintenance.

I'll have to let you know after the boat sells. Need that toy gone before I get another one. Is it premix or do you have the oil injection working? Any real mods or just factory as far as motor?

+1
    If you don't want to buy something and put money into it then don't buy a ski.
    They need maintaining which is $$$$ and fuel prices suck.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by eric15178 View Post
    I'll have to let you know after the boat sells. Need that toy gone before I get another one. Is it premix or do you have the oil injection working? Any real mods or just factory as far as motor?
    Oil injection is working and intact. The only real mods to it are the 6 vane stainless stator and a brand new impeller from a 97 SL 900. I had the ski completely disassembled and meticulously went through every part of it. I could probably throw in an OP ride plate as well. 20 hours total on the rebuild. Has the updated ignition as well, so no problems there. Anybody who has seen any of my stuff knows how anal I am about having everything in working order. You won't find a better SL 900 anywhere.

Sweet yeah sounds like it should be good, and fast too. You said it was 58 on the gps? That sounds pretty decent for the water. What are the new ones running? I'm assuming because of the force of the water why they don't go as fast as sleds. Because I could get the stock 500 past the 100mph mark on the speedo. But yeah my boat is for sale now, so we'll see what happens. Anyone know someone who wants a bayliner? It is a 20 footer with a 305 chevy. Have you had a lot of interest in the ski? Finally getting to be like summer here. Yesterday would have been awesome to be out. Too bad I'll have 9 days in a row by next saturday.

Thread Information