Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ocean Precautions

Greetings! I've been lurking here for a while, picking up some good info. We just bought a 2011 FX SHO and love it. Have 5 hours riding on local lakes. Soon we'll have a chance to ride in the gulf. I understand all the maintenance issues that goes along with using the PWC in salt water. However, I was curious if there are any precautions while in the ocean versus riding inland lakes?

+1
    Yes there are; we have some great offshore riders on the forum who can help you. Personally for PWC I think the first rule in ocean riding is make sure you go out with at least one other ski, or more in a group if possible. I also like emergency position-indicating radio beacons or EPIRBs. I'm sure others will chime in, welcome to the forum.

Banned User
    +1
    Minnum items I don't ride without.
    VHF
    Gps
    Signal mirror
    Spot
    Flares
    Whistle
    Cell phone
    Proper esxspousure gear wet suit etc
    As stated don't ride alone.
    Float plan or at least let someone know where u are going
    And most of all respect for the ocean.

+1
    Ride with another ski...
    Carry signal device... Cell....
    Check the weather before riding....

STAY WOT AND HAVE FUN!!!!

+1
    Take a bottle of water

+1
    i always carry a spare jerry can of fuel in the front just incase also.

All the Gadgetry in the world cannot replace common sense, but it is certainly good to have it if you need it. Especially a good EPIRB / PLB (personal locator beacon). the cost on these things have come down quite a bit in recent years. Carrying some basic tools is a good idea too. As with anywhere / anyride, make sure your Ski is in good operating condition. If you are riding far, especially offshore, if you need to re fuel do they have the minimum octane requirement for your Ski? Another thing I think PWC riders do not always think about is running into debris in the water. Out here on the west coast, there will be alot of debris from the Japan Tsunami making its way to the west coast over the next few years . . . some of this debris could be large and just under the water surface. Ask any seasoned bluewater offshore Sailboat Racer and ask him what his biggest concern is. Most will tell you it is running into something in the water they did not see.

As PWC's get faster and our riding range becomes longer and longer, I would just think of your PWC more and more as "a boat". Some of the funnest, most challenging rides I have had are the true offshore rides. Net Net: Nothing can replace common sense and a good riding buddy. JB

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    I ride in the ocean 99% of the time. I have been out there when waves get 10-12ft offshore. My recommendations are as follows: Never ride alone. It is a lot safer to have someone with you that can bring you in in case of trouble. If you must ride alone I would sign up for Sea-Tow or Tow Boat US and have their number handy in case you need a tow. Another thing is always have a few ropes handy. I always keep a tow rope ready to go just in case I need to strap it to my ski or someone elses in case of any trouble. Although I have a VHF I don't take it with me all the time even though I should. When you get offshore you lose phone service, although I'm talking about a few miles out. Its always good to have a handheld waterproof floating VHF, look at the icoms in west marine, good product. Make sure your drain plugs are in before you go out. Make sure you are good on fuel and know your consumption. Lake riding for 100 miles is not the same as the ocean when its not a flat ride. You may get 70 miles instead of the 100 you are used to. Those are just some things that come to mind right now.

+1
    This shows how easily things can go wrong if you're NOT prepared...

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/...1421_news.html

+1
    The ocean is very spooky sometimes. And as Forest Gump said. That all I have to say about that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information