Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Latest ride with 2 MSX 140s

Couple MSX questions for the pros:

First, we had a great time today with the 2 MSX140s and put over an hour on each. They both ran well most of the day, but a friend rode one and came back to report that it was cutting out when you release the throttle. I pulled the seat and found some, but not much water in the hull that had sprinkled around the engine compartment. It has 105 hours on it, and I assume it is time to change the through-hull bearings and seals. I intend to change the seals and bearings on both skis using the awesome tips by K447.

Second: on the one that is having trouble cutting out: Once back in the driveway and flushed, it will idle, but has erratic racing idle tendencies if you give it a shot of throttle. Based upon posts here, I assume the first recommendation will be the TPS. I plan on swapping TPSs tomorrow between the two skis and see what happens.

Third: I broke the hood on my 03 Maroon ski today...anyone have one for sale?

Good times,

PC

Update: I swapped TPSs between the two machines, and the racing throttle tendency followed. I assume it's time for a new TPS, but I will make an attempt to clean the light corrosion of the pin attached to the black wire on the pig tail.

I also backed the ski into the water on the trailer to look for leaks, and found none. With the drive shaft coupler cover removed, the seal is in place, and looks clean. I did not see water coming in from any other sources either. I guess my question is: How much water inside the hull is normal for average riding?

Thanks!

Banned User
    +1
    May be worth getting 2 TPS to have one as a spare.

+1
    no water.i have 3 140 s.and do not get any water under no normal abusive use

Thanks guys. I ordered a TPS today. $86 shipped on ebay. I am definitely wondering more about the water in the hull. As I said, I was unable to actually watch any water enter the hull yesterday when I backed it down the ramp. I will put it in the water as soon as I can with all of the water completely evaporated out of the hull and look again.

Put the skis back in the water today, this time with a new TPS on the one with the erratic idle. This problem is now cured, but sometimes runs choppy at idle and cuts out. Pulling the seat revealed a small amount of water in the hull that is being misted around, presumably by the vibration and spinning of the drive shaft. I think its safe to assume the rough idle and cutting out is due to water in the plug wires. For the life of me, I have not been able to observe water leaking into the hull, and I even rode it with the seat off to try to find the source.

I did, however, discover that the bilge drain tubes were incorrectly placed, and one had a hole in it. After 30 min of riding, my other MSX had no appreciable water in the hull. I do not know if this is because its bilge drain is working properly, or if it is simply not allowing any water into the hull. I bought some new vinyl tubing tonight and plan to test again in the morning.

For what its worth, both machines have just over 100 hours on them. The one in question has not had a through hull bearing and seal replacement, but I believe the other one has. Are these machines prone to leaking from the cooling system? Any likely sources?

Any help appreciated, as I think once I get this problem solved, I'll have two great runners.

+1
    Water is not normal in the hull, unless you dump one over, or have a leak in cooling system, or hull seal on drive shaft leaking. I would check out by putting water in the hull, and watch for leaks. With the hours you have on the machines, might as well change bearing and seals per K447 tips.
    Not that bad of a job.

Thanks man,

I did find a leak in the water jacket of the top pipe. I gave it to a friend to hopefully get welded. Anyone happen to have a top pipe laying around?

+1
    you looking for the pipe or manifold

Pipe. # 25 in the picClick image for larger version. 

Name:	pwc04msx140exhaustsystem2.gif 
Views:	86 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	273248

Everything else is looking pretty good, and the gasket came off clean so I won't have a problem re-using it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information