Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Engine seized

Unhappy Engine seized

Was out all day today, was running great.. Started doing sum 360's screwing around a little bit and all of a sudden a lound clank and the engine seized. I tried to start it and the starter spun but thats it... Get it home and find a buncha metal shavings in the bottom of the hull, the starter is completely hanging out the side of the engine, and the bracket it mounts by is broken. There is a big enough hole for me to damn near stick my fist into.. Pulled the plugs... NO oil on them at all .. all 3 were white/ash and had 0 trace of oil.. and now that i think back to it i didn't notice the smoke (oil) like usual towards the end so it must have not been getting oil.. This was oil injected.

What do i do??
    Thanks,
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dmeyer07 View Post
    Was out all day today, was running great.. Started doing sum 360's screwing around a little bit and all of a sudden a lound clank and the engine seized. I tried to start it and the starter spun but thats it... Get it home and find a buncha metal shavings in the bottom of the hull, the starter is completely hanging out the side of the engine, and the bracket it mounts by is broken. There is a big enough hole for me to damn near stick my fist into.. Pulled the plugs... NO oil on them at all .. all 3 were white/ash and had 0 trace of oil.. and now that i think back to it i didn't notice the smoke (oil) like usual towards the end so it must have not been getting oil.. This was oil injected.

What do i do??
    Thanks,
    -Dave
    Rebuild and go premix?

Sounds like a rod went through the cases - so new cases, crank - check the cylinders/pistons to see is they are good or not. Sorry to say - it will not be cheap no matter what.

Would it be cheaper to just drop a new engine in it? From what i'm guessing it was running w/ out oil for a good hr because the oil level did not go down at all in the tank.

started pulling it apt.. Gotta quarter sized hole in clyinder 1 right above the carb area as well. Weird thing is the oil pump lines r full of oil still, no lines at all fell off anywhere, and the oil tank is full.

Blockage in your carbs. Pull them and look. They are probably gummed up. Sorry about your luck. Start researching and seeing what parts you can salvage.

+1
    Had the exact same thing on my 1200r premix.. powervalve fell down.. cyl/crank/cases all blown.. probably the same? no waveeaters?
    sorry man, i did a rebuild, 1390 WITH premix and waveeaters... wo'nt be cheap, but not impossible

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-05-15_08-14-04_819.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	271686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-05-15_08-14-29_306.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	271687

Here are some pics.

Guess what i'll do is start tearing into it to figure out what exactly went wrong. No wave eater clips installed, but i had just cleaned the PV and they moved freely and the pins were still in tight, although it's a possibility.

Starting to look like a new engine is going to be the quickest/cheapest fix here. Trying to get it ready for a camping trip in three weeks!

-Dave

+1
    same thing happened to the ski i bought, dont think you can "rebuild" it other then dropping a new short block in it. $$$.

Damn son... Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a parts ski instead of a new engine. Start looking!

+1
    R you guys kidding? I think a dremel will smooth that right out!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information