RXT Shopping... Just a few quick questions

Okay so I have a few skis in the past but now looking at a very clean 06 RXT with 54 hours. After reading about the S/C issues the first thing I will be doing is sending it into to be rebuilt and get rid of the ceramic washers. The ski looks like new inside and out but Ive never owned one with the charger so Im looking for some expert advice and was referred to this site. Im scheduled to test drive it on Wednesday so what should I be looking for or actually listening for. It was owned by an older gentleman whom said he never rode it hard and had no issues except the dess plug went out, Supposedly he always winterized it and my ride will be the first of the year. I can tell from appearence that he took care of it. Thanks in advance!

+1
    Run it on the trailer in the water without the seat, look for water, exhaust leaks
    If it hasn't been run, it should start out as dry as a bone

Ride it

Should get up to 8050 -8100 rpm... This will help determine wether the sc is good and wether there are any air leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
    Okay so I have a few skis in the past but now looking at a very clean 06 RXT with 54 hours. After reading about the S/C issues the first thing I will be doing is sending it into to be rebuilt and get rid of the ceramic washers. The ski looks like new inside and out but Ive never owned one with the charger so Im looking for some expert advice and was referred to this site. Im scheduled to test drive it on Wednesday so what should I be looking for or actually listening for. It was owned by an older gentleman whom said he never rode it hard and had no issues except the dess plug went out, Supposedly he always winterized it and my ride will be the first of the year. I can tell from appearence that he took care of it. Thanks in advance!
    ....4 short beeps..then hit the start button. It oughta crank right up.

take it easy till you get it warmed up...keep it below 5Krpm...when it's warmed up....hit it.

wot should show you 8150-8200rpm or so.

have fun.

+1
    Be warned that if it was fogged for the winter and this is truly the first time it has been ridden it may idle rough....just a heads up.

All good info so far guys...Thanks! So if Im reading it right after warming it up I should be able to reach 8000+ rpms and that will tell me that everything is fine with the S/C? My biggest fear is to find that she has spit a washer and contaminated the engine. Like I said I will be sending it out to Jerry for complete rebuild first thing if I do buy it to have that piece of mind. I was supposed to test it yesterday but after sitting all winter in the ski the battery was toast ( I usually take my ski batterys out and store them in the garage). When the laynard was attached the ski beeped twice and only clicked when the start button was pushed. Hes putting a new battery in it so that issue should be taken care of.

So I took the ski for a test drive today. Results werent so good. Showed up and the battery had been replaced but the starter just clicked and didnt start. Unplugged the laynard and reinserted it to hear two beeps. Hit start again and same thing so I pulled the laynard again and retryed. Started right up so we took it to the water. No issues at first... I started down the creek slowly to just get everything warmed up when I went to slowly accelerate it seemed to have a miss so I turned back heading towards the dock. It idled fine but once again when I got on plane she sputtered and shut off. Needless to say it wouldnt restart but thankfully the current was taking me to the dock, It would only click when the start was hit. Put it on the trailer and it turned over fine but wouldnt fire. It just baffles me... Could part of the problem be the fuel? Same fuel from last year. Im sure it might be a multitude of problems but the whole thing was wierd. I hated to let this ultra clean ski go! I think the guy just hasnt ridden it enough lately. Only twice in a year. Anybody have any thoughts?

+1
    Put fresh fuel and new spark plugs

+1
    How much is he asking for the ski? Based on the problems you are seeing, anything over $3,000 is high especially with and SC rebuild in your future. That, plus a new OEM starter will set you back about $700 even with you doing the work.

Thread Information