Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Polaris gurus Pro 785 blows circuit breaker

Ok-my pro blew the circuit breaker a couple times last year then was ok the rest of the season. Just got it out and ran it. Blew the circuit breaker after putting it on trailer. When it finally is able to reset you can hear a clicking in the starter area like it temp engages the starter motor. disconnected battery and checked ebox for shorts-could not find anything. hooked up battery cables positive first then neg. When you touch the neg post to the cable it has quite a draw and you can once again hear the starter click. changed starter relays thinking this one was going bad internally-still doing same thing. Any ideas? TIA

+1
    At first I was thinking maybe you had a weak breaker until you said that it drew a quite a bit when installing the negative terminal. Sounds like you have a short somewhere. If you changed out the relay, then I would look at the control side of the start solenoid. I would try disconnecting the control circuit to the relay and see if the clicking continues. Or you could just pull the lanyard to do the same thing.

I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1
    Is the insides of your boxed corroded at all? Also sounds like maybe the start button is shorted out. Do you still have your start/stop lanyard in when you do this like Derwood said?

+1
    Couple more things I should have mentioned. First thing I did was swap breakers thinking mine was going bad. Hooked everything up and in the 30 before I took it to the water it drained A gel cell battery down to 2.4 volts! The lanyard is not installed while this is happening. The relay I replaced was the starter solenoid / relay I even unhooked the yellow/red wire coming from the solinoid to the board and it does it. Can't figure why it would be acting like it's trying to energize the starter. Current has to flow through the solinoid and even changing it didn't help. I'm sitting here scratching head.

+1
    Sounds stupid, but maybe you hooked up the wrong red cable to the battery? One should go to the starter and the other to the battery of course. Not sure if that would cause something like this to happen.

+1
    Okay, never mind...I was thinking this was right after your rebuild and you have not taken it out to run yet so scratch my thought!

My question is you say that the solenoid clicks but the starter doesn't turn over? That should say something right there...

+1
    No solinoid works fine and starter works fine. I can start ski. When u first put the bat cables on the battery it tries to energize the starter The starter clicks but not the solinoid I think this is my batt draw and circuit breaker issue but can't think of what would be energizing the starter to make it click and pulling power.

+1
    Okay I'm kind of confused...as soon as you hook up the battery terminal, the solenoid clicks and the starter turns over or no?

What do you mean the starter clicks but not the solenoid??

+1
    From what you describe, it's on the control side of the solenoid that is causing you trouble. Check the wiring to the switch and back. You must have a rub through somewhere in there. If you pull the control side of the relay, any ticking should go away.

+1
    He said he unhooked the red/yellow wire from the circuit board.

Have you physically measured the solenoid to be sure that it is an open circuit when not energized?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information