Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2012 RXP-X Steering adjustment picture needed

I have the same issue as others as my handlebars are cocked to the left to go straight. I have adjusted the steering nozzle but am running out of adjustment, it is better but still a bit off. I have about 5 threads holding the adjuster on and would prefer not to go any further.
    Someone on the forum mentioned an adjustment under the hood by the handlebar mount. Is this accessed under the front hood or the engine compartment. Could someone please post a pic of the actual adjuster and its location?

Much appreciated!
    Thx,
    Rick

+1

Steering adjust

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steering.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	271619
    Picture won't help, Remove the seat put your head in the engine compartment and you barely see this. I tried I could feel the 2 nuts your suppose to loosen but I could feel the 22mm nut your suppose to turn. I could see it tought just not at the same time. You are not suppose to be adjusting it out back where your are. Maybe I was hot tired and frustrated by the time I got to this but I gave up after 10 minutes. You also need a stubby 22mm for the nut.
    Loosen the 2 small nuts then.
    If the ski pulls to the left tighten the nut, If it pulls to the right loosen the nut. One turn at a time.
    tighten the 2 small nuts.

I think it might be easier from the front if the 2 breather hoses were removed.

Let me know how it works out for you.
    Ed

+1
    here is the actual adjustment picture taken from rear looking forward. Follow what Brd-Prey said to do

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0023.JPG 
Views:	794 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	271655

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? RXPX's Avatar
    breather hoses are really easy to remove. they just pull off at the top and might have one cable tie holding one in place. I would definitely rip those out first just because it takes 5 seconds and frees up so much space in the front.

My dealer fixed mine by adjusting at the back and I had to take it back for them to do it again properly as described above.

After seeing this I might fine tune it a bit further. What a pain to get to though, I'll use a mirror if i try.

+1
    So SD is dropping the ball on quality control???
    I've heard of a lot of new doos with this potentialy harmful overlook at the dealers.
    If they aren't checking something as simple as the steering adjustment/ alignment what else are they forgetting to check before you do your 1st ride???

All 3 of my doos ride straight but I've heard of MANY that don't..

+1
    The way the service manual mentions replacing a cable the have a set length your suppose to set the outboard cable. This leads me to believe that if you do all that it will be straight. Maybe a vendors part or measurement is wrong and therefore all of our P-X are pulling right. It is a new hull after all. I can't see how a dealer can set this as you have to ride a ski to see if it pulling. It's just not a matter of setting the nozzle square to the rear of the ski.

Thank you to all for your recommendations!

I left the rear as I had it (attached by 5 threads) and adjusted the 22mm nut after loosening the (2) 10mm bolts accessed via the seat opening. I made the adjustment (2 turns instead of 1 as it looks straighter) but felt like it was running out of adjustment(turning started to get tighter so I went the other direction a 1/4 turn), jet nozzle still not perfectly straight but a lot better. Will test this afternoon and post results.
    Thx!
    Rick

+1
    Thanks PIB, you gave the motivation to go out and try again before it gets too hot. I got it done, I'm sure my arm will be itchy all day.

Okay, that seemed to do the trick. It is very close to straight but as mentioned I ran out of adjustment with the 22mm nut. The manufacturer should not let a unit leave the facility that was as far off as mine. I have owned many Sea Doo's, Yamaha's, and Kawasaki's over the years with only 2 that came with the steering not straight and far from it. The first was a 1993 Sea Doo XP and the other was this 2012 Sea Doo RXP X.

The flip side of it is the machine seems to handle like it is on rails, has good power, and is a lot of fun to ride. 3 hours on it so far, I hope the mechanicals don't disappoint.

Thx again for the quick answers to resolve the steering issue!

+1
    I went to far I have to go about a quarter back!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information