1997 polaris slt780 questions

i understand the info is here but i have read so many things im getting it mixed up and would really appreciate the actual answers.
    i have 3 bad pistons, pto has hole in center and bad wrist pin bearing other 2 melted on exhaust side, i ordered all new pistons, gaskets, top end bearings, and oil block off plate,
    1, my mixture will be 40/1
    2, where do i get the mikuni rebuild kits for the carburetors i wanna make sure i have the right ones for my ski
    3, where do i buy the mikuni fuel pump rebuild kit,i have read alot about fuel line and fuel pump upgrades does anyone have part numbers or any help do i have the triple outlet
    i want to rebuild it correctly im very mechanicaly inclined i just am asking what will work and help to keep my ski from exploding again, the cylinders are great and unscoured i will be running a very light hone thru them to take off the glazing and to get proper ring seating its just the fuel system im concerened with i was just gonna clean them till i read all the articles
    thanks steve

Welcome to the forum!

First off I wanna ask do you know how you burned up the cylinders to begin with?

After your re-build your going to need to run 32:1 mix while breaking the motor in on the first tank. There are certain procedures ( and many varying ones) I would pick one and use it.

Also I would put some Black RTV silicone around the block off plate if I were you.

Your ski should already have a "triple pump" on it unless someone took it off. I would go ahead and replace every fuel line on the ski and either replace or bypass the fuel cut off. This ski is old so remember anything that eventually was expected to wear out or fail is due.

Call John Zigler for your parts, he is pretty much the catch all for ski's. There are others but with him you get quick shipping, good advice, and honest service, also he carries the genuine Mikuni Rebuild kits which is going to be vital for any lasting rebuild. I would also recommend replacing the needle and seat.

John Zigler can be contacted at 608-743-1305, his company is called Watcon / Rock County Jet Ski ( he just bought Watcon Hence the 2 names). His website is www.watcon.com but its kinda hard to navigate so I like to call him, he always answers and gets u fixed up right away.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-New-...ies&hash=item2

If you have a factory polaris triple pump it will be shaped like the one in the link above, but blue, and will have five lines on it, 3 for outlet fuel, one for pulse, and one for fuel in.

I feel like I always put this up for new people but it was showed to me when I started and it helped alot just to read up on it, https://sites.google.com/site/polari...is-fuji-engine

Good luck and welcome there are lots of guys on here who know a lot more than me and they will for sure be around to help you.

P.S. we like pics so If you have a question about something acompany it with a pic and it will help alot, or just post some up of the ski in general

Banned User
    +1
    If you have 3 wrecked pistons, I would pull the motor and split the cases. Clean out the crankcase and check the crank and crank bearings for debris. Replace the crank seals while you are at it. Do a little extra now and ensure yourself a good reliable ski.

+1 on that Byran, Im sure it was total chaos when that motor let go and I doubt all the crap got blown out the exhaust, there a pesky little piece in there somewhere waiting to chew up a pretty new cylinder and piston, plus its time to re-seal the halves anyway.

Banned User
    +1
    On my X45 that I just got, the MAG piston had been replaced in it. I don't think they got all the crap out from the previous failure since there was damage to the piston top and the head. When I pulled the motor and split the cases, there was some debris in there yet, as well as a small piece of piston that got wedged in the split in the bottom of the connecting rod. So you can't assume its all clean in there.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    On my X45 that I just got, the MAG piston had been replaced in it. I don't think they got all the crap out from the previous failure since there was damage to the piston top and the head. When I pulled the motor and split the cases, there was some debris in there yet, as well as a small piece of piston that got wedged in the split in the bottom of the connecting rod. So you can't assume its all clean in there.

How is that X45 going anyway?

+1
    I would also find out what caused all that damage in the first place so after you put alot of $$ & time into it, that it does not happen again.

Thread Information