Question Sponson stabilizer bracket replacement???

Hey guys,

Need help and couldnt find any info in my service manual or in the search results..
    I need to replace my sponson stabilizer brackets, does anyone know what is involved in this as i cant see them from inside the engine bay/hull when i take my seat off ofcourse?
    Is this a painful task because in the process of removing my old sponsons to replace them i snapped a bolt head on both sides and with my ezi-out screw it actually ended up cracking the bracket slightly where the bolts mount to.

Cheers in advance..

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by esaad View Post
    Hey guys,

Need help and couldnt find any info in my service manual or in the search results..
    I need to replace my sponson stabilizer brackets, does anyone know what is involved in this as i cant see them from inside the engine bay/hull when i take my seat off ofcourse?
    Is this a painful task because in the process of removing my old sponsons to replace them i snapped a bolt head on both sides and with my ezi-out screw it actually ended up cracking the bracket slightly where the bolts mount to.

Cheers in advance..
    what type of ski, On most of them you have to cut the inside to get to the sponson brackets.

Sorry for the late reply i have had no internet for a while...
    The ski is a 2000 gp1200r, so if i cut the inside neatly and replace them will this effect the structural design in any way?? or will it need to be patched up?

Cheers

Anyone????

+1
    I have a junk 2000 GPR hull at home with the brackets still in it.. When I get home today I will look inside and see how the brackets are attached and report back to you what I find..

+1
    Well I checked out my old GP1200R hull last night.. You will definitely have to cut into the inner hull to access those brackets.. Did you manage to get the broken bolts out? Is there any way you can get a tack weld on the cracked bracket? Try and post a pic and I bet someone here can figure out a solution before you go hacking at your hull..

+1
    Really all you need to do probably is cut a 2" round hole in the inner hull with a hole saw just fwd or aft of the bracket and fish it outta there with a coat hanger.. that 2" hole won't affect the structure and you can pop a rubber cap into it when you are done.. then if it ever happens again just pull the cap and viola! I'll be happy to drill a hole in my old hull to experiment if you want.. i like destruction.. lol..

thanx for your investigation lol, well i have cut open one side and found it full to the edges with foam, obviously i will be breaking through the foam to get at my brackets but my question is now for the re patching of my hole which is roughly 3x4'" can i refill the void with foam in a can, let it set then throw the piece of fiberglass i cut out with sikaflex????

cheers in advance

Thread Information