Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New 2012 Ultra 300LX - dos & dont's

Just purchased new 2012 Ultra 300LX - will pick up ski next week.
    Plan to keep ski mostly stock, rec use only.
    Just purchased Saikou Michi KAOS OEM Style Catch Can (I like the product/ like that is has baffles etc).
    Will of course check & tighten all clamps/ hoses.
    Break In procedure - I have a pretty good idea of what to do, mostly from comments on this site.
    Plan on changing oil & filter often, no big deal. I like KLOTZ SkiPlate 10-40 100% Synethic.

In addition to my comments above - what are 'must haves' and 'must dos' for a new Ultra 300X?

Thanks in advance

+1
    why is the catchcan a must have and must do? my stock one performs as intended!!!
    dont get caught up in the must have and do's because you have read it on here, keep the ski stock and be happy for what it is.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jrosson View Post
    Just purchased Saikou Michi KAOS OEM Style Catch Can (I like the product/ like that is has baffles etc).
    Break In procedure - I have a pretty good idea of what to do, mostly from comments on this site.
    Plan on changing oil & filter often, no big deal. I like KLOTZ SkiPlate 10-40 100% Synethic.

In addition to my comments above - what are 'must haves' and 'must dos' for a new Ultra 300X?

Thanks in advance
    Good move going with the catch can. I like the fact that the SM has baffles too. The stock one on my ski was only good for filling the intercooler with oil. I know plenty of 300's with the same problem. Far as I'm concerned a bypass for the speed limiter is an essential must have, my ski only did about 65.5 mph without it. You should read up about exhaust filter maintenance and keeping the waterbox dry... you will find plenty of reading to keep you busy.

+1
    yer waste more money and stick a drain bung in your water box!! funny how i changed out my filter just the other day guess what about 2mm of water in it.
    oh yer back to the catchcan i modded one with baffles worked a treat because everyone was doing it, (btw my stock one worked fine) then suddenly after 20hrs the airbox was filling with oil, changed back to the stock can 20hrs later guess what no oil in the airbox, as experienced by most on here there isnt a problem with the stock can.
    the problem is one person has an issue posts on here then everyone jumps on board and has to have the same. i guess the internet has graduated many expert mechanics that others believe in

Banned User
    +1
    Corey you don't know what your talking about jeeesh. Well then again I must not ether 83 hrs stock can I honestly think if anything break in may pass some excess oil possibly fouling intercoolers but after the skis broken in I think the prob seems to go away say after 15-20 hrs.

By the way op. congrats on the new ski my suggestion would be keep it stock if you value your warranty and enjoy your ski. The only thing I would add would be take ur plugs out and apply anti seize. Also make sure your oil u plan to use meets Kawis specs

+1

Thanks in advance
    As you can see... opinions vary. In the end the decision on what you do and don't do will be yours. I can't see how having baffles in your catch can or a dry waterbox could be bad things though.

nicjack is an internet mechanic who has blown up his share of 300 engines, so he has a bunch of experience and is a good source of information on this board... though we don't always share the same opinions.

+1
    agree tommy 78hrs and the last 20hrs mostly at WOT no oil, the clear tube is the perfect indicator.

+1
    maybe i need to post a pic of my workplace to prove what my day job involves, really i couldnt careless what you advise others to do, but what shits me, guys go away and beleive all the posts on here then waste more money fixing things that arent broken or buying performance products that arent needed.
    take for example the post last week offering smaller s/c pulleys stating more power and speed and no other bolt on's needed, the wrong person reads this buys the product first time out at WOT and kboom.

Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    As you can see... opinions vary. In the end the decision on what you do and don't do will be yours. I can't see how having baffles in your catch can or a dry waterbox could be bad things though.

nicjack is an internet mechanic who has blown up his share of 300 engines, so he has a bunch of experience and is a good source of information on this board... though we don't always share the same opinions.

Just purchased new 2012 Ultra 300LX...plan to keep ski mostly stock, rec use only...In addition to my comments above - what are 'must haves' and 'must dos' for a new Ultra 300X?

Thanks in advance
    Id leave it as is except for installing Rule 500 to 1100 gph bilge pump. Best safety mod you can install. I thought we should ask manufacturer why not equip all skis with bilge pumps? But I got no traction, not even with VMan, so I had to drop it.

Id follow maint schedule in manual by the letter, including replacement of that exhaust filter.

Take it easy first few times out to familiarize yourself with everything including OPASS (or off power assisted steering system or KISS or whatever). When you suddenly let off throttle and turn, ski may surge. Its ski keeping up sufficient power to turn craft but it may seem strange or alarm you if not familiar. Can feel like a stuck throttle or runaway ski.

That SCOM that deactivates speed limiter seems to give biggest bang for buck by far. But, if youre rec rider only and bought extended warranty, be cautious. Some mods may possibly affect warranty coverage.

Good luck!

Thanks to all of you - good points/ suggestions

I agree with VMAN - Baffles are a good thing...just plain physics...
    I also agree with NICJAK on one point - he suggested that many of us (especially rec riders) spend money on things that may not really enhance performance of the ski...I tend to agree with that view (as a rec rider).
    I just sold my 2007 250X with 165 hours, I spent maybe $3500 on some 'cool' mods - from R&D, Riva and TBM.
    In retrospect, I spent too much money...and/or wasted my money.
    I really like the TBM products such as the steering assembly, Intake grate etc...
    Could not tell much diff on the others mods though...
    However, do not undersestimate the 'power of bling' - what I mean by that is I (a PWC enthusiast) have money to spend...
    I like to buy 'cool' things for my skis...mostly visual such as nice grips with alum caps (ODI), TBM Sponsons which just look great etc...
    The performance gains from many of these products or mods are probaly 'lost' on guys like me (rec riders)...but I still like that stuff...
    espcially 'race proven' products.

By the way, I never experienced gas-in-oil on my 2007 250X...maybe I was lucky.
    (I am hot weather rider in Texas, spend half my time in saltwater, half freshwater - FYI)

I am going to try to enjoy this new ski 'as-is' - see what happens

What about a 'sea strainer'?
    I had Groco strainer on my 250X, emptied it often...always dumped out junk like weeds, etc...
    Should I do same on 300LX?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information