Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

04 MSX 110 Cylinder damage

Picked up an 04 MSX110 today (my first 4 stroke) & have never seen damage like this. Looks like the piston melted a little & the cylinder melted a lot! Is this just a 4 stroke version of a lean burnout?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Joe's boat 032.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	271737Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Joe's boat 033.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	271738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Joe's boat 034.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	271740
    Last edited by K447; 07-14-2012 at 10:27 PM.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    I'm not expert on the four stokes, but I'm wondering if you had a air leak on the head gasket there inducing a lean condition on that edge. Maybe Randy can add some insite.

+1
    pehaps a rogue casting of the alloy block?? with air pockets in the casting?

+1
    Can this be repaired? Welded & re-plated? or sleeved? I see used cylinder blocks out there for big bucks & Don't know if thats a good idea with all I read on the plating problems the stock cyls. had.

Uh I have been racing my whole life and that right there seems to be indicative of something foreign in the motor. But who knows? Are all the valves still there, looks funny to me, 4 strokes dont really lean out like a 2 stroke. They can be lean all day if you want and eventually will burn a hole in the piston maybe but the crank case oil should always keep the cylinders slicked up. Let us know what you find, I think a total tear down is in order first.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Can this be repaired? Welded & re-plated? or sleeved? I see used cylinder blocks out there for big bucks & Don't know if thats a good idea with all I read on the plating problems the stock cyls. had.
    Yes it can be sleeved, I have done a few, Randy at Weberpower will be able to supply you with what you need. Darton made sleeves for this motor, if you are keeping cost down you should be able to pick up some decent piston assemblies from engines that have had nicasil failure. ( I have seen a few on eBay) Martin at Precision sports is another avenue for components.
    Not sure what has gone on with yours but it could have started out as a nicasil problem and developed into what we see

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nick072010 View Post
    Uh I have been racing my whole life and that right there seems to be indicative of something foreign in the motor. But who knows? Are all the valves still there, looks funny to me, 4 strokes dont really lean out like a 2 stroke. They can be lean all day if you want and eventually will burn a hole in the piston maybe but the crank case oil should always keep the cylinders slicked up. Let us know what you find, I think a total tear down is in order first.
    Yup, this is a new one for me too. All the valves are still in place, no contact evedince in the head or piston top. Just the edge of the piston melted & the huge hole in the cyl. wall about 1'' from the top. The head gasket looks like it failed but I'm not sure if that was the cause or another side effect of a bigger problem.
    As you said, next step, total teardown.

Yeah its odd. Could have been a weak sleeve but still weird. What kind of RPMs do these motors turn?

+1
    That is a new one for me also..
    I agree, and it looks like a casting problem, and possibly the engine overheated. The overheat would attack the weakest spot first. The Weber nicasil process was improved after the 2004 Polaris production run. I would use only new piston & rings during a rebuild, as its easy to install worn out rings and have to re-do the whole process. I would inspect the cooling system carefully.

I have a good used block from a snowmobile for $400.00

+1
    I'll tear it down after the holiday weekend & make a list of what I need. Can you set me up with other parts? (piston, rings, gaskets) Would you like the core stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by Weber Guy View Post
    That is a new one for me also..
    I agree, and it looks like a casting problem, and possibly the engine overheated. The overheat would attack the weakest spot first. The Weber nicasil process was improved after the 2004 Polaris production run. I would use only new piston & rings during a rebuild, as its easy to install worn out rings and have to re-do the whole process. I would inspect the cooling system carefully.

I have a good used block from a snowmobile for $400.00

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information