Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Stupid stupid stupid me.. Flushed while engine was off! Not once, but twice!

I'm new to this site and obviously new to wave runners. I have Two 2007 Yamaha FX Cruisers HO. Just bought them last week.

Me and the lady took them out for a short ride this Saturday and all was good. When returning I washed down with fresh water and decided to use the engine flushing hose attachment. So I hooked up the hose attachment to the hose and the flushing hookup on the ski. I turned the water on and let water flow for about a minute to a minute and a half until water poured out of the Cooling Pilot Hole on the port side (left). It gets better.... I did this exact same process to the other ski. Bad news is that I never turned on either of the skies before, during or after I flushed. Good news is that I have yet to attemp to turn on either of the skies.

I hear you guys are the best and better then most service shops. Please Help as I have so far spent $18k and a lot of sweat equity and 20 min of riding. I am sick to my stomach based on the different stories I am hearing. Some say just remove spark plugs and hit sart button... Others say remove all spark plug, change oil four times etc....

+1
    Check the oil to see if there is water in it first.
    Then pull the plugs and with the plugs out spin the motor over and see if water comes out of the cylinders.
    Then put some lubrication in the cylinders like wd40.
    If u do have water in the oil u will need to change it and the filter.
    Once you change oil and filter run it to warm it up then change it again.
    With 2 oil changes you will still have a little water in the oil.
    Take them out and run them for 45 min - 1 hr and the remaining water will evaporate out.
    What happens is the remaining water burns out due to the heat of the motor.
    Just had water in my oil on my rxpx due to a carbon seal failure.
    I did what I just listed here and my oil cleared up completely.
    It's a timely process but saves you big $$$ over the stealerships...
    Hope this helps...

+1
    Don't run the skis till you pull the plugs just in case there is water in the cylinders.
    If u were to have water in the cylinders and try to crank them that could mean hydo lock or bent rods / valves...
    You will need an oil evacuation device.
    I bought mine from west marine.
    The cheap ones from other places seem to be junk..
    I spent $69 and it works very well.

Ugh... I guess this is one mistake I won't ever do again. Any possibility I caused any damage either now or for the future? Or is this 100% reversible?

Any other suggestion or tips are greatly appreciated. If this site allows for donations I am happy to do so.

If you look at the schematic... It looks like it would take a lot of water to completely fill the exhaust manifold and get up into cylinders. You should follow the advice here...but I'd be surprised if you found water in oil or cylinders after only a minute of engine-off flush.

As soon as the water came out of Cooling Water Pilot Outlet I stopped the flushing. But I don't know where in the path of water flow when that would happen. Before or after engine breech...

In case I get too caught up in the thread I wanted to say Thank You! Thank you for the early morning replies and willingness to help!as you can I aging, this being my first and early on screw up it is nerve reckoning.

Any easy things to check to verify that I did not to any damage? Ie not get water anywhere other then where it would not cause damage.

+1
    If you just spent $18K on these skis, you should probably spend a little more and take the skis to someone that knows what they are doing.

The Yamaha MR1 motors have a sump for the oil. If you haven't run the skis, you probably wouldn't find any water in the sump. Unfortunately, that won't give you any idea of whether there is water in the crankcase. I would siphon the oil from the sump, then drain the crankcase. There is a drain plug at the bottom of the motor... hard to get to, but not impossible. I would then remove the plugs and crank the motor a few times to see if water comes out of the cylinders. If there's no water in the oil or in the cylinders, that's a good sign. If there is water, spend the money and take it to a dealer.

Where are you located?

In Ocean City, NJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information