Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

99 polaris slth 700 stall

This water craft is new to me. I rebuilt the carbs. And the oil lever arm that the cable hooks to was on backwards. The cables look to have to much slack in them, so that needs adjustment. Out of water hooked to a garden hose it seems to run great. revs up, RPM's come down and it idles nice. I replaced the gray lines. Good fuel. The spark pulgs were bpr9es and it calls for bpr8es, I did not put the new ones in yet.
    So then put it in the water and set the choke it fires up and once it seems to warm up a little I back the choke down. Thens runs great very fast and seems to have plenty of power. Then after just a few min. it starts to act up stalls then very hard to restart. Full choke about full gas then still spit and spudder to start. Then I might get it to run another few min. then same thing.
    Could the oil cable be so out of adjustment that its dumping a bunch of oil in the motor and fowling it? I thought I read somewhere that to save the motor it will dump oil to the motor if the motor sences a problem?
    Again the couple min. that it does run right it is really good. Pops right up to plane and goes.
    Back to the gray fuel line. There is one really short pieace right by the fuel shut off that I did not change. Was thinking of bypassing the fuel shut off to test that or am I wasting my time?
    Thanks guys

Banned User
    +1
    Check your tank vent and make sure its working properly.

bryan is that the one way vent at the end of the line comming from the tank? Not in the tank right. I think they say blow air at it one way and it opens and the other direction it stays closed. Is The gas cap vented on this unit?

Any one have the part number for the tank vent Probably a cheap part so going to just chage it.
    1999 polaris slth 700.
    Thanks Guys

One other thing I found is a Small diamater clear line comming from near the front going to the rear not hooked to anything just laying in the engine bay. Not sure where it goes. Any ideas?

Banned User
    +1
    That's most likely the battery vent that connects to the nipple on a standard lead acid battery. The tank vebt fittings are easy to test. One allows air into the tank, while holding pressure. The ither check valve should hold about 1.5 PSI before it releases pressure. Has your ski had the ignition update done to it? You could have a stator issue causing the funny behavior if you haven't had the update done.

Well the tank vent that is on the short hose above the tank was stuck. Opened the gas cap after sitting for a day after last test run anf it still was hissing as I opened it. So thats fixed. took it out and if your on the gas its great. RPM's seem good. Lots of power. But when you let off the gas it is still going to stall out and a bugger to restart. lots of choke and pressing the throttle to start. Just stuburn. Took it out of the water again this time I took off the fuel selector switch and by passed it. Did not get a chance to put it back in the water to test.
    When I rebuilt the carbs I did not touch the position of the mixture screws. I also have the tool to check pop off but not sure where to hook the hose up to each carb to check this. If some one has a picture that would be great. Again mine is a 99 polaris slth 700.
    One other tid bit of info when I freed up the one way vent valve and then ran it in the water again, when it stalled I did crack open the gas cap and there was no hiss sound.
    Thanks Todd

Banned User
    +1
    Low speed screw should be 1 7/8 turn open. Try that and see if it helps. If that doesn't fix it, open up the carbs and check the arm height of the inlet needle arm. It should be .060 below the casting. That being off can cause issues. I had that same sort of issue on mine. Adjusting the arm height fixed it.

bryan thanks for the input will try that tonight. Just for clarity. The low speed screws are on the side of the carbs And the one on the rear carb would be between the two carbs is this correct? kinda positioned near the bottom of the carbs Correct?

Banned User
    +1
    Yes. Its the only adjustment screw on those particular carbs. Give that a try.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information