+1

RXPX 2011 with Humidity in spark plugs and engine underperforming

I have a RXPX 2011 with 4 inch intake, Catch can, Riva intercooler relocation kit, lowered sponsons, Riva OPAS Removal Kit, throu hull exhaust, R&D Intake grade, with 55 hours. Had Blow off and removed it recently because it started to jam. Around hour 50 I started noticing a very slight misfire occurring sometimes at slow rpms. At WOT engine was running smoothly (8100 rpms). From then to now, 3 sets of spark plugs gave gone bad and we discovered humidity in the intake and supercharger, and some (but not much) water in the intercooler. After each use (in sea) I would wash bike and we tried to use two weeks later found humidity in spark plugs. Also I started to notice an increase in misfires at low RPMs, still not that much. RPMs at WOT have decreased to arround 7600.
    I suspected that water from the intercooler cooling system could be finding its way into the admission. Did a test with the intercooler in which we filled the intercooler with water and detergent (thru the openings in the intercooler were the air hoses connect). Let it rest and no water came out thru the openings were the water hoses connect.). Put an air hose into one of the water hose connectors in the intercooler leaving the other free so no pressure was generated inside the intercooler. Nothing happened. Then I stared to close the second hole with mi finger and very slowly foam started to come out from the intercooler. There was not that much air pressure applied.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intercooler1.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	271776Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intercooler2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	271777Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intercooler3.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	271778

My initial conclusion is that there is a very very very small crack in the intercooler with is allowing water into the intake, which is causing the misfires at slow RPMs and messing the spark plugs. Also that the blow off jammed because of the water in the system. But I would like to know if anyone has had a similar problem, or if I did anything wrong with mi intercooler test. I am going to borrow a new intercooler and put new spark plugs (again!) into the bike to go out and test it. Any input in the matter is highly appreciated.

+1
    Sounds to me like you have done a very good job of trouble shooting. I also believe the IC is leaking.

+1
    I thought it was getting pretty well known the newer style SD I/C suck/leak.

+1
    I have heard the same thing. I only thought that because I am very careful when it comes to washing the bike, that the intercooler wouldn´t have any problems for a long time. In the picture you can see the dam thing looks like new.

I think I know the answer but will ask anyway: no repairing intercoolers? So, next step would be a Gen 3?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    I thought it was getting pretty well known the newer style SD I/C suck/leak.
    When you say "newer style" what are we talking about.. 2010... 2012?

+1
    Finally had the time to install a borrowed new i/c and went out for a test run. Things are back to normal. Rpm´s run constant at around 8060. Full power is back so I am happy. This just reconfirms what´s been said that original i/c are rubbish and also that sea water in not a good additive for gasoline LOL ….

I think the newer i/c was introduced in 2010.

Now, just waiting for the surf to go up and see If Sea Doo´s can fly, and how high! Hope to get some decent pics to post.

Thread Information