I'm back after all these years! Please help!

Hello guys ( and gals)!

I'm finally back on the water after a nasty divorce from a woman who hated the lake. (she had to go) Had to sell my '07 Ultra 250 several years ago, and I just got my hands on a 2001 1100 zxi for cheap that is in great condition with low time. My problem is this - the ski is somewhat hard to start cold out of the water, and "coughs" occasionally (kinda like a backfire) to the point where it will stall the engine out. Took it out on the water for the first time today and noted that I had to hold the rpms at about 1800-2000 through no wake zones to keep it running. Ski hesitated upon nailing the throttle for a few seconds, then took off like a raped ape. Anything over 3000 rpm and throttle response was perfect, with the ski topping out at around 7000 rpm. I ran one full tank of fuel through it (about 8 gallons of 100ll avgas and 5 gallons super unleaded - I'm an aircraft mechanic and I figured the 100ll would help clean any gunk out of the carbs, but I don't have a lot of experience on two strokes). Anyway, when I brought it back to the ramp, tied it up and put the truck/trailer on the ramp, about 3-5 minutes. It would hit very briefly, but would not start. I had to get it to the trailer mainly on the starter. Finally got it started after about 5 minutes of trying after getting it out of the water, with the same coughing results as in the beginning.
    Do I need to pull the carbs and rebuild, and if so where should I purchase the rebuild kit? Ski is totally stock.

Thanks for any and all input, and it's great to be back, both on this forum and in the water!

Tom

Thats the First place i would start..CV Carbs are pricey to rebuild..I believe idle should be set at 1800rpm in the water..I have a 98 ZXI and ditched the CV carbs..Runs way better!!Also if it has the choke still ditch that as well & go with a primer,that will solve your hard start.(probably)But thats a common problem.

I am also a fan of mixing my fuel-oil injection to me makes the ski run way to rich..

Yeah, from what I've been reading primer is the way to go. Do you have a recommendation as to where to buy? As for premix, I'm quite familiar - still have my 1981 440 stand up that I bought brand new when I was 15, but I've always been a fan of too rich rather than too lean. Oh, btw - when cranking cold, I don't use ANY choke - It'll fowl the plugs if I do. Maybe one quick pull on the choke, crank, then choke back in. Then it'll start.
    How much were the aftermarket carbs, if you don't mind me asking?

Instead of complete carb rebuild, first try cleaning out (or replacing) the pilot jets first since you only seem to have the idling and running issue at the low rpm usage.

Meangreen, can you instruct me on pilot jet replacement/cleaning? Can I do it with the carbs on the engine? I do have a copy of the factory service manual.

Thanks,

Tom

+1
    You're an airplane mechanic and you put 100 LL in it??? Don't you know what that crap does to airplane plugs? I'd bet the plugs are lead fouled.

I'm wondering about the backfiring. Could be a bad reed valve, but I don't think you'd get 7000 RPM out of it if that were the case.

Primers sure make it easier to start these engines, but DO NOT remove the chokes on the CV carbs! They will run uncontrollably lean without modification. Instead, you can get a couple of 1/8" NPT x 1/8" barb fittings and hook the primer hose to them. On the 1100 engine, there is a balance tube across the intake manifolds. I drilled holes in them and threaded them for the fittings, works great!

I'd keep the oil injection, but replace the lines and secure with safety wire (bet you're good at that!). Make sure the lines are filled with oil and bleed the air from the pump.

Drain that avgas and put some 87 mogas in it. It's bound to run better.

Steve,
    The engine was running like this on regular pump gas, and I've only run about 7 - 8 gallons of 100ll through the engine. The plugs are fine - no deposits whatsoever. And yes, I've been safety wiring things for 34 years, so I think I've got that down pat.

Thanks for the advice on the primer - that definitely sounds like the way to go!

Thread Information